• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would u look most for in bunny boarding?

I was thinking of starting a boarding service, I was thinking of having indoor and outdoor facilities... What do u think?

I've got to say, I think, although space is vital, the thing I'd look for most was absolute trustworthyness with feeding and health needs.

So, in Ludo's case, someone very aware that he's a stasis bun and who could be trusted to take that as seriously as I do. :wave:

Space, proper disinfecting, really good hay, no sawdust, predator protection, knowledge of bunnies inside and out, no grass runs, no dogs/children (mine are scared of them), check vaccination cards, have their own bunnies and good setup etc for them. Probably others I haven't thought of lol

I'm very fussy :oops:

Space is ok on one hand but it must be easily and thoroughly disinfected between buns. For this reason I offer 7'x2' hutches and no run access. I would especially worry about runs on grass because of the difficulty in disinfection. It is only a holiday home and bunnies will not suffer in smaller than usual accommodation for a week or two. They will however suffer if they pick up coccidiosis or pasturella from a previous rabbit.

My clients like coming here because they know that I am a capable bunny owner and that I know exactly what to check to make sure their bunnies are healthy and happy.

Space - particularly for my indoor buns who are freerange 24/7.
And people I can trust. We travel over an hour to board our buns, but I trust the people who have them 100 % and you can't put money on that - I'd never relax on holiday otherwise!

Someone who really knows about and understands bunnies, takes them seriously, has an interest in listening to what I tell them about my buns, knows what to do if they see signs of illness, as well as the condition of the premises that they are to stay in.

For me it is also very important that my snuffles bunnies will be accepted and cared for as the fact that they have this illness means that they need an experienced bunny person.

I don't mean to sound selfish but I do need a break/holiday time and it is really difficult to find boarding for poorly buns

I do understand why though and was just answering from my point of view as an owner of poorly buns :wave:

Space although I know it will be smaller than their usual accomadation but I don't want a really small space for them I mean. And someone who knows about bunnies who you can trust mostly.

When i went to find boarding for my mob this year i looked at a few. Also asked around for recommendations for other bunny mums.

The boarder i went with in the end had a nine year old bun of her own. Knew all the beginning signs of stasis, bloat and understood about tummy bun's (Brownie is a tummy bun). Would take my buns to my own vet if they needed treatment. Huge hutches and runs on concrete. She also had underwired grass runs if you wanted your buns to go in them.

She was doing the cleaning out of a hutch when i got there so saw the whole process. Lovely fresh hay no sawdust unless it was requested by owner. Was prepared to buy in any fresh food my buns needed. Also the bonus was the text service. She text me every day with a up date on how they were and what they had eaten. I felt totally relaxed having her looking after them.

When i went to find boarding for my mob this year i looked at a few. Also asked around for recommendations for other bunny mums.

The boarder i went with in the end had a nine year old bun of her own. Knew all the beginning signs of stasis, bloat and understood about tummy bun's (Brownie is a tummy bun). Would take my buns to my own vet if they needed treatment. Huge hutches and runs on concrete. She also had underwired grass runs if you wanted your buns to go in them.

She was doing the cleaning out of a hutch when i got there so saw the whole process. Lovely fresh hay no sawdust unless it was requested by owner. Was prepared to buy in any fresh food my buns needed. Also the bonus was the text service. She text me every day with a up date on how they were and what they had eaten. I felt totally relaxed having her looking after them.

:thumb:

I record at least one video to YouTube then send the link to the family so they can see their bunny enjoying their holiday.

Space, knowledge of bunny health and characteristics and good communication. Knowing you are leaving your buns and piggies with someone who really understands and cares about them is of utmost importance. Texts, e-mails, videos etc are a useful bonus to put my mind at ease.

Mine have never boarded but I would have to find a suitable boarder or forum member who were very knowledgeable , could understand rabbit behaviour and signs of illness and willing to follow my own diet plan. Also they would need to be able to medicate.

I also expect large setups sheds/hutches with runs attached on concrete or slabs so it could be thoroughly cleansed between visitors to avoid infection and contamination. No runs on the grass.

I would also like regular updates -emails , text or whatever with some pictures of them on their holiday.

I would write long lists of what I want fed to them and how to care for my Flopsy.

I think it's a range of things. The first hurdle has to be accommodation, if there isn't somewhere of a suitable size, security and ability to disinfect properly then I wouldn't bother going to look. Similarly if they also board predators such as ferrets.

Once that's dealt with, for me the main thing is visiting and seeing how I feel about the people running they place. I went to one place which on paper was perfect but she couldn't tell me what disinfectant they use, only that it was blue and it definitely kills everything. I just didn't feel that she had enough bunny specific knowledge.

So there is a lot of gut feeling - Do I feel comfortable leaving my animals there...do they know what they're doing, do they understand infection control, do they know about the main bunny illnesses, are they observant enough to notice subtle changes and to determine the most appropriate course of action, what vet/s do they have available, that sort of thing. Do they have young children/other animals and if so, can these get anywhere near the boarders. Do they want lots of information about your bunnies, their personalities and routines, and do they actually read it and stick to them. I guess it comes down to whether I trust them to )a know what they are doing, and b) to actually do it - not just to know about it. Personal recommendation is helpful in this respect but only from people I trust to have similar thought processes and standards :lol:

My pet hates are runs on grass and bunnies being too close to other boarders. One of the places I have used locally to board mine for a couple of days does use runs on grass for the bunnies in 6ft hutches but mine have been in their larger self contained accommodation so it hasn't been an issue. But she knows I don't like it and understands why...but does it because that's what most customers want. I still don't like that, but I do trust her and for a couple of days it's fine...although I'd still take them across to Helen in Windlesham if they needed boarding for any length of time.

Last edited:
Size i will not board if te boarders just offer a hutch or cage, the hutch or cage must excede the min requirements laid down by the rawf, must have option to have larger cages or hutches with pen or run extenstions, Indoor facilities and be able monitor buns around the clock / regular checking on them due to how quick a rabbit can go down hill.

I will pay what ever to ensure this

I do boarding and would say from people who have visited, that they weigh me up more than the accommodation, although that is important, they will have seen images on the website already. I always show them other bunnies who I have at the time of their visit and show it as it is. I go through a typical day with them, show them the disinfectant that I use (pet safe). I show them my two rabbits and their set up, and that usually puts their mind at ease. I also have a detailed Info Form for completion which gives me critical information. Being bunny (and guinea) savvy goes a long way.

Treating each owner, and pet, as an individual are very important. Remembering that one loves basil mid morning and another doesn't like to be touched on the head etc and being flexible as they are all very different. I have one who has a mucky bum and needs daily bathing and grooming, one who loves his head scratched while he eats, one who needs to finish her course of Baytril because she had a throat infection, and one who is very arthritic and I had to build little brick steps for so that he could get in and out of the hutch, this week. Owners like it to be as close to what their pet would get at home as possible.

It's also ALL I do, so I am around for most of the day checking on the bunnies and cleaning and caring for them. They can be fed at specified times. Owners like that their bunnies get lots of attention and that they can get hold of me "anytime".

And quality over quantity in terms of how many hutches/pens. I would rather give loads of attention to a few than a little to many. The little texts to confirm that they have settled well are vital but I wouldn't have time to send everyone one daily, so I agree that if they contact me I will always reply and if there was a problem I would contact them but I just send one after the first 12 hours to confirm everything is ok. I collect photos throughout their stay and email them as a "holiday album" when they have collected their pet, as a thank you for boarding with me.

I would love a set up like Helen at The Rabbit Crossing but I do not have the space for little playhouses. I do have RWAF approved accommodation, it is spotlessly clean, they have good quality hay and are on that and newspaper and I am loving and attentive and know what to look for.

There is definitely demand for good quality boarding. I have been busy this summer and everyone has said they will be back :thumb:

Free range facilities for house rabbits are also in high demand. I can only offer roaming in my dining room, not the whole house, but even that is popular.

Guinea Pig boarding is also as popular. I have specific hutches for guineas and rabbits, but was surprised at how many requests I had - about 50/50 bet bunnies and piggies.

Back