• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alfie has snuffles!! :'(

Rexripley

Mama Doe
Nothing seems to be going right now
We lost pickles and then Alfie came inside, yesterday he was sneezing and I put it down to change In hay, but today I noticed discharge from his nose and noticed what it was straight away so took him to the vets and Penelope since they were together

So they've both had an anti biotic injection and I'm home with anti biotics to feed them for the next four days

I've separated them for now :(
Will it ever be safe to have another bunny with Alfie?

Would this have just came about because the stress of losing pickles, two other bunnies being around and coming inside from outside?

Any advice on snuffles would be appreciated.

Will he be ok after the anti biotics? :(

Last edited:
Alfie has been through a lot lately (as have you) so it is more likely to be because of all the change. Don't understand why you have separated them though. Lots of us have snuffle buns on here. I recently took on 2 more buns and one started sneezing. She's had a course of abx and it's stopped now. Definitely think it was because of the changes she's had. :wave:

Alfie has been through a lot lately (as have you) so it is more likely to be because of all the change. Don't understand why you have separated them though. Lots of us have snuffle buns on here. I recently took on 2 more buns and one started sneezing. She's had a course of abx and it's stopped now. Definitely think it was because of the changes she's had. :wave:

I just thought if I have them in together she would maybe get it worse? I'm probably just being super paranoid now.

I don't know much about snuffles but where did Penelope come from? Was she quarantined from Alfie?
Sending lots of vibes x

I don't know much about snuffles but where did Penelope come from? Was she quarantined from Alfie?
Sending lots of vibes x

She was a p@h bunny. Ive heard him with sneezes weeks before her but maybe noticed it a lot more now hes inside

She doesnt have any symptoms?

I just thought if I have them in together she would maybe get it worse? I'm probably just being super paranoid now.

You probably are and it is totally understandable after all you've been through. I'd probably be the same :) They will be fine together xxx

I've had a few snuffle buns over the years, all had partners (a lot of rabbits carry pasteurella but don't show symptoms). Episodes of stress can make things worse so Alfie's grief could have triggered it, poor boy. Most of my buns coped very well and only needed treatment occasionally. The exception was Barney, but he was older (7ish) when I got him and had been untreated for goodness knows how long. His wifey came from the same place and also had a couple of episodes but was mostly asymptomatic. When Ebony died, barney's grief made him poorly but he did settle.

Baytril didn't do much for some of my guys esp Barney but he had blocked tear ducts and runny eyes and developed ear abscesses towards the end.. if you don't see an improvement might be worth asking for something different or get a C&F done to make sure you have the right AB's?

Sorry to hear about Alfie.

Our bun Evie has had snuffles since we got her. However, we have found that springing red raspberry leaf on her food along with putting vitamin drops and echincea in her water has helped massively. Also we give her immune boosting hay tablets from the hay experts and this seems to keep the snuffles at bay, though there are still days when she has discharge. She's now just over a year old.

Back