• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

UPDATE Wet beard

Rexripley

Mama Doe
Since we switched to large bowls Bruce looks like this every day
Is it going to do him harm long term having a wet beard?

Last edited:
It may result in him developing dermatitis if he stays wet all the time. It is very unusual for a Rabbit not to clean themselves up :?

I've switched to a bottle for the night, see how it looks in the morning
Just really paranoid since losing pickles, looking out for anything

I had this problem with one of my bunnies from water bowls. I solved it by changing to one of those cat water dispenser things, as the bowl part was lower.

Is it a Rex Rabbit thing? Our Rex Rabbit has water dribbles down his mouth, but nothing that wet. Our Rex-cross and other non-Rex breeds all have water bowls and none of them dribble.

Oh my goodness - I've just noticed Tulip has got exactly the same thing. I noticed her dip her head right in the water. Her chin is brown as though she's been rubbing her wet chin on the hay too :?

She's eating fine and I've just given them a bundle of hay that she's been chomping on. Will take her to see Glenn tomorrow to be on the safe side :?

Is it a Rex Rabbit thing? Our Rex Rabbit has water dribbles down his mouth, but nothing that wet. Our Rex-cross and other non-Rex breeds all have water bowls and none of them dribble.

I have 10 Rexes here at the moment. All bar one drink from bowls and none have the 'wet chin' problem. The one who has a bottle (Morse) insists on tipping water bowls over his head so..........:roll::love: :lol: Over the 15 years I have had Rexes I have never seen any with a constantly wet chin due to drinking from a bowl. xx

Ok paranoid over nothing! Switched to bottle and he's back to his normal beautiful self today!

Jacks-Jane would you recommend keeping the bottle to prevent any future problem or safe to go back to a bowl?

Ok paranoid over nothing! Switched to bottle and he's back to his normal beautiful self today!

Jacks-Jane would you recommend keeping the bottle to prevent any future problem or safe to go back to a bowl?

If he drinks well from a bottle then you may aswell leave him with that. If his beard is constantly wet he is very likely to get some sort of dermatitis eventually

For reference a normal water consumption for a Rabbit is 50-100ml/kg/24 hours. Rabbits who have a lot of fresh food (veg etc) often drink less than Rabbits who do not.

Back