• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E.C questions!

sonnet

Alpha Buck
My rabbit was treated for suspected E.C earlier this year & is now on Panacur every 3 months.
He never had the blood test hence why it's 'suspected'.

Can an E.C rabbit be bonded or is it not safe to do so?
Will he always be classed as an 'E.C positive' bunny even though he was treated?
Is it safe to have other rabbits around if they are not actually living together (I.e separate runs/living quarters)?
Will a rabbit boarding establishment still accept him or view him a a risk? :(

Hope someone can help!

I've got to admit .. I've no idea either about boarding a rabbit with EC .. It never goes away, you can only keep it under control I believe.

Not sure about bonding either. Luna, our EC bunny is bonded with Benji, but she is 3 whereas he is 9, so at some point in the future it is realistic to think that Luna will need another mate. I've got to admit, I will bond another rabbit to her, as we only ever have two bunnies. Whether the other rabbit will have a resistance to EC like Benji obviously has, or will need treatments on flare ups, like Luna, I don't know.

I've got to admit .. I've no idea either about boarding a rabbit with EC .. It never goes away, you can only keep it under control I believe.
Not sure about bonding either. Luna, our EC bunny is bonded with Benji, but she is 3 whereas he is 9, so at some point in the future it is realistic to think that Luna will need another mate. I've got to admit, I will bond another rabbit to her, as we only ever have two bunnies. Whether the other rabbit will have a resistance to EC like Benji obviously has, or will need treatments on flare ups, like Luna, I don't know.

Thanks for replying & confirming that it never actually goes away which is what i thought.
Yes I see what you mean about having the two bunnies - it's good that Benji seems to have no problems. This E.C business is so confusing!

We've had a bunny with EC, confirmed by a blood test and treated successfully. Apparently many bunnies carry EC anyway, quite a high percentage of the bun population but not all suffer with it.

Buns who have recovered from EC (I don't know if it never goes away but they are symptom free) can be bonded with other buns and can be boarded. I guess a boarding establishment would have to take in to account that every bunny they have potentially has EC that's one of the reasons why their husbandry is so good.

EC spores can live outside the body for 28 days. Panacur is used to manage EC and spores can be killed off by a one in ten bleach / water solution.

Buttercup our bun who had EC lived with her partner Squirrel who has to date (three years later) not developed any Ec symptoms. She also had frequent contact with our 8 other rabbits. Buttercup died a few months ago from a blood clot left behind after a massive operation on her paw.

We currently have 22 buns after rescuing 7 including two pregnant does although one doe later died. I would certainly suggest you speak to your vet about treating all your buns with panacur not just the one showing symptoms should EC present itself.

Buns can with aggressive treatment recover well from EC. It is a long process and our vet said many people give up because it looks so distressing and many people see buns as a 'throw away' pet, easily replaced. A good rabbit savvy vet is a must.

Good luck :wave:

We've had a bunny with EC, confirmed by a blood test and treated successfully. Apparently many bunnies carry EC anyway, quite a high percentage of the bun population but not all suffer with it.

Buns who have recovered from EC (I don't know if it never goes away but they are symptom free) can be bonded with other buns and can be boarded. I guess a boarding establishment would have to take in to account that every bunny they have potentially has EC that's one of the reasons why their husbandry is so good.

EC spores can live outside the body for 28 days. Panacur is used to manage EC and spores can be killed off by a one in ten bleach / water solution.

Buttercup our bun who had EC lived with her partner Squirrel who has to date (three years later) not developed any Ec symptoms. She also had frequent contact with our 8 other rabbits. Buttercup died a few months ago from a blood clot left behind after a massive operation on her paw.

We currently have 22 buns after rescuing 7 including two pregnant does although one doe later died. I would certainly suggest you speak to your vet about treating all your buns with panacur not just the one showing symptoms should EC present itself.

Buns can with aggressive treatment recover well from EC. It is a long process and our vet said many people give up because it looks so distressing and many people see buns as a 'throw away' pet, easily replaced. A good rabbit savvy vet is a must.

Good luck :wave:

Thank you :thumb: Do you still treat your EC bunny with regular Panacur to keep on top of things or not?

Back