• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed Insulation Project

Captain Helen

Wise Old Thumper
Barley and Stewart's shed is a few years old now, and gaps are forming between the panels, so it was time to add some insulation ready for the winter.

Here's the empty shed with everything taken out. You can see daylight through the panels, and that's after we added extra wood to the outside to cover the worst gaps. (I spent so long painting it and now it's all covered up...:roll: ) We added a few extra wooden beams to staple the layers on to.

First we used a layer of this damp proof plastic sheeting stuff. It comes in a huge roll, and even after two sheds there's still loads left!

(Looks like a killing room! :shock::lol:)

Then we used a layer of this silver bubble wrap stuff. It's very easy to staple this stuff on.

(Looks like a space ship!)

Then the hardest part, adding the plywood. We got the wood yard to cut most of it to size, but we still had to adjust a few bits.

And finished with all the stuff put back in...

(Well there's a bit around the window still to do, but it was dark by then.)

Should keep them toasty warm and dry over winter! :D That's two sheds done, one to go! We'll be experts by number three! :lol:

(I don't know if I should have put this in housing?)

There are some photos of the shed being built and the outside of it on this thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?299215-New-Bunny-Shed!

Last edited:
Great job. You'll really see the benefit in the winter, no more freezing water bowls, and peace of mind for you too.

Great job. You'll really see the benefit in the winter, no more freezing water bowls, and peace of mind for you too.

Thanks :) I just wish I'd done it when the shed was first put up. It would have been easier and I wouldn't have wasted so much time (and paint) painting it! :lol:

Its looking fab... Less worry in the coming months. Good for you for tackling it!!

Thank you for putting this up, I didn't think about putting in a plastic damp proofing layer in for when I do the wendy house, but now I've seen this will defiantly do so! Thank you! Looks fab!

I am in the middle of insulating our playhouses. Just wondering , wont the plastic layer trap moisture or make it sweat in summer so mold grows on the inside of the wood?

I am in the middle of insulating our playhouses. Just wondering , wont the plastic layer trap moisture or make it sweat in summer so mold grows on the inside of the wood?

I have no idea! :oops: There are lots of gaps in the wood, and there's a gap of about an inch between the inside of the wood and the plastic layer so hopefully the air will have enough room to move around it. And we didn't insulate the side with the door on, so hopefully that will be enough ventilation for the inside of the shed.

Back