• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

House Training to us litter tray /box

Hi everyone

My lovely French Lop doe has just been spayed and is indoor in a large dog cage and she seems to love it in there but I have blankets in there and obviously there will be poo and wee in places but she does have a specific place. In her outdoor cage it was strange bit she did it in the bedroom part.

I want to know if I want to decide to keep her indoor after healing what so I use as a litter tray and what litter to use can I use shredded paper? And how do I go about potty training her do I introduce the box in the cage and put some of her poo in it to start I have never house trained a rabbit so any advice would be helpful.

We do however have a one year old cat who is scared of Beau (the rabbit) and now an 8 week old which hasn't been in contact with her yet do you think it wise for me to keep Beau inside even though the are all in different rooms when we are out or in bed and Beau is always put back in her cage and she love a good chew and she does need her rest at the moment.

Please help xx

Rabbits tend to wee and poo where their food is. I put newspaper and hay in a large plastic underbed storage box and they use that.

As your Beau has been spayed you are right to give her blankets to lie on. Could you line a box (with low sides) with newspaper and put a hay rack above it so she can eat hay without sitting on it?

Does she have a puppy pen attached to the crate for extra space?

Hope she heals well and that you get her litter training sorted :wave:

Back