• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those of you with interlocking rubber flooring...

LainiT

Warren Scout
:wave: I know a fair few people use this so wondering how non slip it is.

Ellie is undergoing treatment for an ear infection, she finishes her antibiotics soon and (not being pessimistic or anything) I am expecting it to reoccur. She gets VERY unstable, falls over lots and struggles to get up in her panic...and I want to be ready for it.

They are free range in the kitchen, it's laminate flooring with a thinnish mat in the middle of the kitchen, I need to change it either a for a big carpet rug or the interlocking mats which are obviously easier to de-hay :roll: but are they non slip enough for if she does get bad again?

Hoping someone can help me make my mind up...:D

Do you mean the kids safety mats type flooring?

I've got them in the kennel & run and I don't find them slippery at all. :D They've got a textured surface & they're more like foam than rubber so the bunnies don't tend to lose their footing on them.

Sending lots of vibes for Ellie too. xxx

Do you mean the kids safety mats type flooring?

I've got them in the kennel & run and I don't find them slippery at all. :D They've got a textured surface & they're more like foam than rubber so the bunnies don't tend to lose their footing on them.

Sending lots of vibes for Ellie too. xxx

Yes, that's the kind I'm thinking of...fits together like a jigsaw. Thanks, you've answered my question! :):thumb: (thanks for the Ellie vibes too, have a sneaky feeling we'll be needing them pretty soon x)

No problem. Hopefully Ellie will be fine and they won't be needed after all. :love::love: If she does though, they're a little more forgiving than laminate flooring too, being cushioned, and not as rough as carpet can be on their hocks.

We got them when Alice had sore hocks, there not slippy at all I really liked them, they would be perfect for what your looking for.
Bear ate ours though so be carefull :lol: I ended up having to put them in a duvet cover!

Thanks so much you two, thats that decided then. I'm hoping it'll be easier to clean than a big rug too.... how does hay travel round the house so easily??! Mind you, not that they're indoor bunnies of course....they came in nearly 2 years ago and are still here. :D:lol: I wouldn't have it any other way but I won't mention the OH!;)

Poor little Ellie. She really has had a rough time. :( Sending loads of vibes and I hope the infection doesn't reoccur.

The interlocking foam mats are brilliant and not slippery for bunnies.

I can't remember whether your two are diggers, but I'll just mention this in case they are.....

I bought some from Tesco a couple of weeks ago for one of my trios (Nutmeg, Saffron & Pepper) who keep trashing their rugs. We fitted them into their kennel/run and it looked really lovely. I checked on them an hour later and they had ruined their new flooring by scrabbling and digging at it, I was absolutely gutted. :( They had made a real mess of it. I had to take it up and put their rug back. A couple of the squares were still OK, but the rest were trashed.

I'm now trying to think of an alternative, something like the interlocking mats, but more robust so that it will stand up to my bunch of diggers. :roll:

Well, I've not tried it with my buns yet :oops: but just done the goats floor with ex conveyer belt matting. I got it from a place called Canning Conveyer in Worksop. I collected it, dont know if they deliver as its pretty heavy. Its used but only one side has slight marks ( think its from potato Conveyer belt) the other side is pristine. It's 10mm thick, very dense and not as soft cushiony as the matting you are describing, but I think it would stand up to rabbit claws and teeth better. I think I paid about £40 for the goats 8ft x 6ft shed. So far its standing up well to 2 goats and me mucking them out with a fork and shovel :lol: I've got a few scraps left if anyone wants me to send them a little piece to look at? It's smooth surface but not slippy :D They were very helpful and cut it to size for me, we had to make a few minor adjustments but you can cut it with a Stanley Knife.

Thanks for your replies...Tracy I don't know if my two would dig this up, they never dig at the grass in the run or on the mat I have down but Ellie will quite often have a go at ruckling up their fleece blankets, she likes to think she can dig them through their cardboard tunnels..in her head they go through but in reality she just gets wheezy with all the effort :roll: JTF in Woodhouse have black squares on offer so I might get one pack and see what they think. I have no idea how gutted you would have been when you saw yr buns' destruction, I bet they were very proud at making such a thorough job though!!

Zoobec, what an amazingly ingenious idea! Thanks SO much for that, I will definitely keep it in mind, I'm very often over at Worksop at the vets, and its only 15 mins from here so that's my very close plan b, thankyou so much for sharing that one, its brilliant!

So...nonslip flooring hopefully sorted, what next on my masterplan to make them a permanent indoor fixture hehe!!

Back