• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing a new member of our family. U/D Post 30

Alibunmum

Wise Old Thumper
After much discussion we decided to grant our 9 year old's request for a hamster for his birthday. Given he is by far the most involved with the rabbits and I will obviously maintain overall care it seemed like a great present. It's been a few years since Splodgy our last hammie died so I am very excited!! We bought him the Detolf bookcase in Ikea for her and although it is sparsely decorated for now, there are many plans afoot to make it more interesting. So, meet Nibbles!

IMG_9959.JPG

20130823_231238.jpg

Being closely watched by her new owner.

IMG_9949.JPG

IMG_9957.JPG

She won't fit out of this window for much longer!

IMG_9956.JPG

She is loving all the megazorb to dig through.

IMG_9964.JPG

IMG_9962.JPG

Last edited:
I love her home that's what I'd want space wise if I was having a Hammy

She's Beautiful! :love: love the setup and also the picture of the buns in the background :D

Thank you both. Our other hammies had miles and miles - at least feet and feet! - of habitrail tubes but they were a struggle to clean regularly. I always said if I ever had another it would be a home like this one. Can't wait to section the flooring with fitch, chinchilla sand, megazorb and clear glass for variety!

awww, cute wee Hammy...:love: and Wow, must be like bunny paradise for wee Nibbles.. What an incredible set up....

Welcome home little cutie!! xxxx.

if i ever get a hamster im going to steal your idea! that is fantastic! what have you got it resting on? does it need a roof added or is it too high to jump out?:wave:

Thank you everyone. We are all very excited to have her, they are such busy and entertaining wee creatures!:love::love:

if i ever get a hamster im going to steal your idea! that is fantastic! what have you got it resting on? does it need a roof added or is it too high to jump out?:wave:

Thank you!! It's on the piano at the moment but for inspiration do a google search for 'hamster ikea detolf'. You'll see what we are aiming for eventually.

I am going to make some wire mesh panels as a roof for safety. At the moment we have just made sure there is nothing to climb on near the edge. I would like to give her deeper substrate in some areas but can't until there's a roof.

Back