• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ongoing teeth problems

AmyCleary

New Kit
Hi all

I would like some advice if possible. I have a rescue rabbit and have had him for 6 months, we think he is nearly a year old. He is lovely natured but unfortunately has teeth problems. I checked his front teeth yesterday and one of the bottom ones is really long, so I took him to the vet and he has to go under anesthetic next week to have it shortened and also have his back ones filed as they are cutting into his gums. It is very frustrating because this is the third rabbit I have had with ongoing teeth problems and not only is it extremely expensive each time, it is also very painful for my rabbit. I know now that he will have to keep going back so my question is: is there a way to prevent this happening again and again?

I will just tell you about his diet, when I got him the previous owner fed him mixed rabbit food, no greens, so I gradually introduced pellets which he loves, he would eat them all day everyday if he could. He also eats carrot tops, kale and dandelion leaves but he WON'T eat hay and this is obviously where the problem has started.

Anyway, any help or advice I would really appreciate?? :(

It sounds as though he may have a congenital malocclusion made worse by his previously poor diet. It might be a good idea to ask for skull radiographs to be taken during his Dental treatment. This would give your Vet more detailed information about the tooth roots and the stage of Dental Disease. I would also discuss whether it would be a better option in the long run for him to have his incisors extracted. This would obviate the need for regular incisor burring and it may help the occlusion of his molars.

This is an informative article about Dental Disease

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...y1Y9Ee&sig=AHIEtbTAYCPIxhL_Jq6YLLzVPHZbzGUaCQ

Unfortunately getting a Rabbit with malocclusion to eat a good hay based diet can be difficult, especially if they have been used to just filling up on a mix, which is likely to be easier for them to eat as it requires a different 'mechanical' jaw action to that required when eating hay. There are dried grasses eg Readigrass that some Dental Rabbits will eat. Also there are various types of hay that you could try him with

http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/edibles/hay-grasses.html

Back