• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rudy is no longer anaemic

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Rudy is no longer anaemic... update after PM -liver lobe torsion

Edit: History re Rudy and liver torsion only starts at post 17, the first bit is about Elijah!!

Elijah was admitted last night with stasis, something that has happened frequently through the last 3 and a half years but normally he starts eating on his own after receiving meds... the only time he hasn't was when he went on to reach crisis point the following day (about 20 hours after admission) and needed blockage surgery. He had a stasis OOH admission 4 weeks ago, again on Monday night.. then again last night... the previous times he ate after meds .... This time hasn't eaten overnight, the only other time that happened was when he required surgery :cry::cry: His glucose reading wasn't too alarming last night about 12, I think, it went down slightly after an hour, it's normal now. There was just something about him last night, he wasn't doing the usual pain behaviour, he was just really quiet, not really very responsive. His stomach hasn't got any bigger since last night but I presume that also means (I would have been told otherwise) that it hasn't got smaller, it felt a bit distended and gassy last night.

I don't know if I'm reacting to something 'intinctive' or being paranoid but I'm very scared for him :cry::cry: I'm seeing patterns as he had frequent bouts of this at this time last year and it's coming up to the anniversary of his surgery. He's in the second safest hands I know (so far as I'm aware FHB herself is away this week).

Last edited:
I don't know what it could be but sending millions of vibes for Elijah, he is at the safest place he can be and really hope you get some answers soon. xxx

I'm so sorry I can imagine how worried you must be. I wonder what causes some buns to be susceptible to this and not others.
AS you say though - he is in very safe hands.

I really hope he can get through this. Will be thinking of you x

Thanks everybody.

I'm so sorry I can imagine how worried you must be. I wonder what causes some buns to be susceptible to this and not others.AS you say though - he is in very safe hands.

I really hope he can get through this. Will be thinking of you x

When Elijah had his surgery in September last year Nigel H-B made a video recording of the surgery :shock: Reading between the lines, as Elijah has so many stasis episodes I think they were expecting to find something unusual about his intestines - but they didn't, he has nothing within his digestive system to give any clue as to why it keeps happening. I do wonder if it has something to do with his fur type or maybe just his general lethargy when he's moulting, he slows down *maybe* more than most and therefore his gut does... just theories. It is good to know that his guts are 'normal' though! I haven't seen the video but I have seen a photograph of the blockage

Thanks everybody.

When Elijah had his surgery in September last year Nigel H-B made a video recording of the surgery :shock: Reading between the lines, as Elijah has so many stasis episodes I think they were expecting to find something unusual about his intestines - but they didn't, he has nothing within his digestive system to give any clue as to why it keeps happening. I do wonder if it has something to do with his fur type or maybe just his general lethargy when he's moulting, he slows down *maybe* more than most and therefore his gut does... just theories. It is good to know that his guts are 'normal' though! I haven't seen the video but I have seen a photograph of the blockage

I wonder if it could be some sort of allergy or intolerance to something?

Hope he is doing ok x

Thanks all for good wishes and asking after him.

I've been at work so delay in responding.

I got the message this afternoon that they had been worried about him all day as he wasn't eating for himself and he's had numerous x-rays to check progress, the most recent x-ray before the phone conversation showed that the gas had finally moved along into his large intestine (it hadn't been progressing along as it normally would be expected to prior to that - no obvious clues to blockage just no movement). So he was believed to be out of danger. About 1/2 an hour later my mobile phone rang and my heart was in my mouth - it was just the news that he'd started eating some dandelions :D It is anticipated if he continues as he's going now that he could well be coming home tomorrow.

Thanks again for the vibes

Thanks everyone :love::love:

Elijah stayed in yesterday as although he was pooping well he wasn't eating enough so needed to be syringe fed.

I'm supposed to be ringing at 10.00 to find out how he is but I will be on their doorstep with a poorly Rudy instead :cry::cry::cry:

Rudy has been refusing food since 1.00 am but not in the usual distress associated with gut pain :? Rudy used to have regular very stasis/gas episodes but he hasn't had one needing vet care in 2 years. He normally pushes himself into a corner and shakes a lot - he's just been not interested in food and runs away when I examine him. Given he wasn't distressed and doesn't have a big, hard stomach I've just been keeping a close eye on him (I got a little water into him) and they do an open surgery this morning so we'll be going in one hours time. Tink has been keeping him warm.:love:

I'm wondering if it could be dental - he did have one dental age one, five years ago, but it could be something more sinister of course :cry::cry:

Last edited:
Poor Ruby :cry: You dont mention output, wee and poo OK ?

Hope that they will both be better soon xx

I haven't seen him do either, though I have been catnapping as exhausted. He's just been sat in a hunch (not a painful hunch just the usual 'tea cosy thing':oops:) and has only moved when disturbed. I did wonder if he had hurt himself when jumping off his NIC shelf/missing the shelf and falling, he ran okay when he was evading me examining him. He's also alert if you are near him and has taken a little treat off me but swiftly dropped it. There are some poops in the area he spent the last few hours, they are too small to be Tinks', Rudy rarely poops outside the tray so *I think* he will have done them last night.

Well, the good news is I just gave them their spring greens breakfast and Rudy started nibbling.:D As Tink was eating much faster I decided to catch her and put her in a carrier so that she wouldn't pinch Rudy's food, unfortuantely he ran off in a panic when he saw the carrier and hasn't eaten since:cry: This is fairly predictable for Rudy. We are still going to the vets as something is not right.

Back