• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Foxes just got into guinea pig run..

abi2013

Alpha Buck
I just looked up and 2 of them were in there.. he only goes outside for a run, he lives inside the rest of the time :(
I don't think they've hurt him... he can still run and he doesn't seem to be hurt anywhere.. I'm just so worried the shock will kill him :( Does anyone have any advice? He's inside in his cage now and hiding underneath straw.. do I just leave him and pray he's ok. I feel sick.. I can't believe they got in, the run was a secure one (so I thought :( )

oh goodness, how scary :(

does he seem to be in shock? just keep him in a quiet place and keep gently talking to him. sorry i can't be more help. :( x

I just feel so bad.. I should have been looking. I don't even know what shock in a piggy looks like .. He's quite quiet and just hiding..making the occasional noise :/

Can you move him somewhere safe where the foxes cannot get to?

I would leave him be, keep him calm and quiet. Stress is the biggest killer so I wouldn't check him over/take him to the vets unless you see something obviously wrong. But I would check him tomorrow morning thoroughly and if anything is amiss or if he's not eating/pooing take him to the vets tomorrow afternoon as you don't want to end up going to emergency vets at the weekend if you spot something later.

I'd put in all his favourite treats as well although he's not likely to eat them for a few hours.

I'm going off rabbit experience here as I've had a rabbit chased by a fox.

I just feel so bad.. I should have been looking. I don't even know what shock in a piggy looks like .. He's quite quiet and just hiding..making the occasional noise :/

i don't know what the vets do for shock. could you ring and explain what has happened?

is the noise that low burr noise? like when a sudden noise scares them? are his eyes wide and is his breathing faster?

What a dreadful shock. :(

I hope he will be OK. Jenova's advice is very good, I can't add anything to that.

Can you move him somewhere safe where the foxes cannot get to?

I would leave him be, keep him calm and quiet. Stress is the biggest killer so I wouldn't check him over/take him to the vets unless you see something obviously wrong. But I would check him tomorrow morning thoroughly and if anything is amiss or if he's not eating/pooing take him to the vets tomorrow afternoon as you don't want to end up going to emergency vets at the weekend if you spot something later.

I'd put in all his favourite treats as well although he's not likely to eat them for a few hours.

I'm going off rabbit experience here as I've had a rabbit chased by a fox.

i think i would be tempted to do this aswell. keep him calm and maybe cover part of the cage with something to make him feel even safer. then just gently reassure him and maybe offer some food as suggested to distract him. x

He's hiding.. when I move the straw to see him he runs as he normally does.. it's not the low scared noise and his heart didn't seem to beating too much faster than normal... their always so nervy anyway. I think I'll just let him hide.. check him in the morning and make sure he's eating and drinking.. I gave him a pretty good checkover after it happened before I put him away and he seemed all ok physically.. no bleeding or obvious marks.. didn't flinch when I touched anywhere. I just hope he's ok :/ thanks for the advice x

He's hiding.. when I move the straw to see him he runs as he normally does.. it's not the low scared noise and his heart didn't seem to beating too much faster than normal... their always so nervy anyway. I think I'll just let him hide.. check him in the morning and make sure he's eating and drinking.. I gave him a pretty good checkover after it happened before I put him away and he seemed all ok physically.. no bleeding or obvious marks.. didn't flinch when I touched anywhere. I just hope he's ok :/ thanks for the advice x

sending him cuddles and fingers crossed he will be ok. x

It was one that a carpenter had made for me a while ago.. somehow they managed to lift the lid up and I have no idea how as it was pretty heavy.. and was clipped down. He's only out there for a few hours a day to have a run.. he lives inside in a c&c cage.. we were all in the dining room.. the patio doors were open and it was only a few meters away from us when it happened. So everyone please be so so careful, foxes are getting braver and braver these days.

Back