• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D: weird red eye lining?? (caused by vet handling!)

sunnibunny

Alpha Buck
hello all.
5 days ago, my rabbit leah (4 yrs age, spayed, female, single) was not eating and could tell something was wrong with how she was lying down all the time. had a vet appointment that day, and got secheduled for a dental 2 days later (monday) as she had spurs (again) and pain from her elongated tooth roots. now 3 days later after the dental, she is again lying down quite a bit as to press on her stomach. she is on zantac (gut stimulant) twice a day and on loxicom (pain relief) once a day. but she is soooooo picky and fussy, she doesnt eat hay or grass AT ALL. she only eats forage and now she is getting pickier on that too! :( im just starting to be frustrated by the whole thing. im trying to get her to eat grass and hay and thus not giving her anything else really and so im feeling guilty. plus im worried she wont eat and that she may go into stasis.

so going to get some fresh grass to see if i can tempt her and blackberry leaves to help her stomach. poor thing. :( gonna see how it goes, as leah has this problem every few months it seems.

Last edited:
I hope you have success with finding relief for her. Its such a worry when they are ill isnt it?

leah is much brighter this morning. however during the night she has passed some dark yellow-y mucous jelly string with her poop. what does this mean? i tried searching for the poop thread which contains the mucous section, but havent found it, plus also trying to get everything ready before the vet appointment i have for her this morning as i was so worried. is vets necessary then? can it pass? please any advice will be great.

Last edited:
Sound as though her gi tract is somewhat inflamed. This can occur after gut stasis, but I am wondering if she is just not having enough food going in which will not only mean her gi tract is sluggish but it will also exacerbate any inflammation already present.

As she clearly has advanced Dental Disease it may be that you have to feed her what she will eat rather than what she should eat. With some Dental conditions the Rabbit will not refuse hay/grass because they dont want to eat it, but because the cant eat it

Personally I would be less restrictive with her diet for a few days at least.

thank you for your reply tulsi, happy bun and Jane. will give her everything then that she likes right now to get her just eating. been at the vets this morning and leah got given an injection of emeprid as well as with her other medication of loxicom, zantac and fibreplex. have a check up with vets tomorrow.
here is a picture of the mucous jelly with her poo this morning, she aslo had runny poo this morning too. not watery like diarrohea but definetely wet and not solid. but she does still poop solid pellets too.

this rabbit makes me so stressed in her health. im in awe of you owners/rescuers who have a whole bunch of them! i dont think i could take the stress levels....otherwise i would have to be admitted into the vets too!!!teehehehe

ok, so had another check up at the vets this morning. getting a little better for leah. but vets showed me how to do a bunny burrito and if only one person was giving medication to leah, because currently it takes 2 people to give oral medication to her. anyway, vets gave medication to her on her own and demonstrated the best was for us to do it at home as it can be easier with the bunny burrito. well leah didnt like it at all, could hear leah exasperated breathes by being in the towel up at her neck and then she stressed out soooo much that her eyes looked like if they were going to pop out. after it was all over the ordeal of giving 3 lots of medication orally, one of leah eyes has a red kind of lining popping out where the third eyelid would extend out. vet said not to worry and just keep a check on it. :shock: feels like a step back in terms of leahs health!! not sure what to next now. will her eye lining go back away? its like her whole socket of eye has moved towards the rear of her body and thus exposing things which were not supposed to be exposed.
can see on the picture below the red lining, that is not usual for leah. :( im kind of furstrated with the vets handling of her and also yesterdays vet handled leah by the scruff of the neck and her bottom held rather than under the chest and her bottom support. wasnt happy.

:shock: Poor girl! If she gets so stressed, I certainly wouldn't try that. Fiver (my boy) HATES being wrapped or restrained, it stresses him out more than if I just sit him on my knee and battle with him to take meds! Fortunately he LOVES loxicom. :thumb: He's not so keen on anything else, though.

Have you tried Leah with readigrass?

What's her diet atm?

Last edited:
she has readigrass, two types of timothy hay, farm hay, home made hay, grass and forage (dandelion, clover, beetroot leaf, plantain, blackberry, apple leaf, dog rose leaf etc, herb robert, hawthorn, hogweed, smooth leaf cow thistle)

she eats only the clover, beetroot lead, apple leaf, hogweed and smooth leaf cow thistle and dandelion. thats it. she wont touch anything else at all, not even the grass let alone the hay!! if i restrict her diet, she just starves herself and goes into stasis rather than eat the things she should eat. plus she may also not be able to eat the stuff she supposed to eat. :( sigh.

p.s her eye lining still not gone away. :(

Last edited:
bump bump? please anyone has any thoughts of the red lining of leahs eye? will it go? thinking of putting a complaint procedure to my vets.

If her roots hurt she will not be able to eat any hay at all because it will hurt too much. Try feeding pellets soaked in cold water for five minutes and slowly increase them so you're feeding unlimited pellets. Rabbits must be able to eat constantly all day to stop them going into stasis. If she only has hay and a bit of forage available then she will literally be starving as she cannot eat the hay. I know is not usually good to feed unlimited pellets but it's more important that she has food available that she's able to eat at all times or she will keep going into stasis. Excel and science selective pellets both soak well and keep their shape.

She may get a messy bum from the pellets but you can try and introduce more forage as you have been doing and just clean her up a bit more.

have soaked some of her pellets in water and given that to her and will see if she eats it.

im thinking her red lining of her eye has some blood capillaries burst in her third eye lid, and thus it is able to be seen compared to the other eye where the third eye lid is hidden away due to the inflammation. may take a week to 10 days to heal then like a bruise would. so may get worse in appearance before it gets better. i rang the pets at home vets to get this information, which does makes sense, as i was going stir crazy, and my current kingston vets were not telling me all the information i needed/wanted to know. feel a bit calmer now. just hope thats what it is, P@H vet can only make an estimate from what i described to him over the phone. but felt more valued there than at my current vets. plus the fact the vet was happy to just talk to me over the phone and even when im not a registered customer, while kingston vet wont let vet come to phone just to chat or give any advice over phone or anything. arghghghghghg. just venting, need to get this off my chest.

Is she on long term pain killers?

Her eye will be fine, as long as it doesn't get any worse or look like it is hurting her.

ETA: Just read that she has loxicom once a day. Could you maybe split the dose, loxicom only lasts for 12 hours, and obviously if she is in pain she will stop eating and this could be causing the problems. Most likely she will never eat hay, but offering pellets and forage constantly should help to keep her guts moving, as Jenova suggested.

Last edited:
Is she on long term pain killers?

Her eye will be fine, as long as it doesn't get any worse or look like it is hurting her.

ETA: Just read that she has loxicom once a day. Could you maybe split the dose, loxicom only lasts for 12 hours, and obviously if she is in pain she will stop eating and this could be causing the problems. Most likely she will never eat hay, but offering pellets and forage constantly should help to keep her guts moving, as Jenova suggested.

she is on loxicom once a day. vets said that bunnies need a bigger dose than what the instructions says as "apparently" they need it to feel any effect. so she is on 0.5ml of the dog loxicom (1.5mg/kg concentration). but inquired today to reduce it and they said yes to reduce it to 0.3ml. at the moment they are trying to figure out a dosage to let her feel the relief of pain but at same time not to upset her gastrointestinal tract. so not sure really of what doseage is good. what have other people used? she is 1.6kg in weight and a newtherland dwarf.

thank you for saying her eye will be fine, really needed the comforting vibes. :)

she is on loxicom once a day. vets said that bunnies need a bigger dose than what the instructions says as "apparently" they need it to feel any effect. so she is on 0.5ml of the dog loxicom (1.5mg/kg concentration). but inquired today to reduce it and they said yes to reduce it to 0.3ml. at the moment they are trying to figure out a dosage to let her feel the relief of pain but at same time not to upset her gastrointestinal tract. so not sure really of what doseage is good. what have other people used? she is 1.6kg in weight and a newtherland dwarf.

thank you for saying her eye will be fine, really needed the comforting vibes. :)

My Fiver was on 0.5mls twice a day when he was suffering with the pain in his legs. It took that much just to get his pain under control. I can't really say what would be good for your bun, but see how she goes on the 0.3mls twice a day and ask your vets to keep increasing it until she seems to be comfortable. :)

I agree she might need more, Grim was on 0.6ml of dog loxicom twice a day when he was bad.

well taking all the wonderful advice on here, have kept her dose of loxicom (pain relief) rather than reducing it, but split it into 2 administrations rather than the one. her eye is also improving, you dont see the red the lining anymore unless you literally move her eye lid itself to view it. it is defo getting better and being reduced in its redness. yay. :D she is eating forage only. she gets lots of it so she isnt starving. but think she has a mixture of both picky eating plus possibly not being able to eat certain things. :? still will take a while til she is back to herself after her dental.

well an update on leah, she seems to be good in herself. however had a few troubles. she seems to not eat much of her food as she only eats forage, and now she has stopped even more of eating particualr forage. she only eats now dandelion, corriander, banana leaves and beetroot leaves ONLY now, despite the fact that she has blackberry, hawthorn, herb robert, plaintain, grass, clover, hay (4 varieties!), mint, hogweed, apple leaves. so i have increased her dosage of loxicom to 0.6ml twice a day now. hopefully that will inspire her to eat if she is in pain. as 0.6ml in total each day being split to 0.3 twice a day for a week is not really cutting it. so today is the first day of this hypothesis, as before she was eating only the few certain things and then that would give her diahorrea due to the fact that only eating one forage in large quantities is not good for any rabbit diet. as they need the variety so not to upset their stomach.

her eye of the burst blood cappilary is also improving which is good news. :)

Back