• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Paracetamol ??

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I have bought a trial Vetstream membership. On looking at information about pharmacology and therapeutics I came across details for Paracetamol.

Paracetamol
Anna Meredith

Name
Paracetamol.

Class of drug
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID).
Uses

Action
Paracetamol is an NSAID but not a cyclo-oxygenase inhibitor.
Modulates the concentration of prostaglandin intermediates.
Antipyretic.
Poor anti-inflammatory effects.
Indications

Antipyretic.
Controls mild to moderate somatic pain.
Can be administered to patients with gastric ulceration as it produces few gastrointestinal (GI) side-effects.
Administration

Routes of administration
Oral: 500 mg tablets; 125 mg/5 ml, 250 mg/5 ml oral suspension.

Dosage
Basic dose
200-500 mg/kg PO.
1-2 mg/ml of drinking water (use flavored products).
Precautions

Use with care
The main concern with paracetamol is hepatotoxicity.
Interactions
with other drugs

Metoclopramide
Enhances paracetamol absorption thereby enhancing its effects.
Adverse reactions

Other reported reactions

Signs of toxicity include anemia, methemaglobinemia and liver failure.

Anyone else rather :shock: :? about this ?

ETA: claims to be based on the Small Animal Formulary. Tennant Bryn (1999)

I'm not very knowledgable about medication but not a lot of that looks right to me. The fact that its down as an NSAID and seems to have similar to human doses listed being two key points. Medication isn't my strong point however, I'm learning most of it from your posts :thumb:

Why what ??

Why are you :? :shock: ? the dosage is high but that's the only weird thing I've picked up on so I'm not sure why we're meant to be :?:shock: I think I'm missing something..

EDIT: seen your post... was the info specifically for rabbits then? No idea whether it is an NSAID or not, but if it says so in a medical journal I guess it must be, it does say it's not a good one.

Last edited:
If we're talking about acetaminophen (Tylenol) it's my understanding that it's toxic to any animal. Ingestion of this drug constitutes poisoning similar to antifreeze in our country and is treated similarly.
It is not considered anti-inflammatory.
Was this prescribed this for one of your rabbits, Jane? :shock: If so, I'd get a second opinion.

If we're talking about acetaminophen (Tylenol) it's my understanding that it's toxic to any animal. Ingestion of this drug constitutes poisoning similar to antifreeze in our country and is treated similarly.
It is not considered anti-inflammatory.
Was this prescribed this for one of your rabbits, Jane? :shock: If so, I'd get a second opinion.

No !!

Thanks. I was thinking it's not an NSAID, it's not an opiate, and I couldn't think of anything else.

I think Paracetemol is classed by itself usually as it's the only one of its kind in regular use? But just looking around, there are some other medicalish sites that call it an NSAID, although it isn't one.

Perhaps it's lazy reporting or even research? :?

I saw a programme the other day where a cat was killed by paracetamol. The vet on there said it was extremely dangerous to all pets as causes organ failure. I presume that included rabbits and small animals not just cats n dogs.

Because Paracetamol is not a NSAID, it has minimal anti-inflammatory properties.

Also, I was of the impression that it was totally unsuitable for use in Rabbits

The dose seems huge too

I did work experience in a pharmacy a few weeks ago and read a lot of training guides, paracetamol was definitely not listed as an NSAID

Back