• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Simba and Daisy update ... NOT GOOD :(

purplesponge

Warren Scout
I'm absolutely devastated guys :( as some of you may know, I had (successfully I thought) bonded Simba and daisy. They went in their hutch together yesterday lunch time after 24 hours in a pen together in our bedroom. Went to check on them this morning, feed etc, and there was a lot of fur. Daisy and obviously gone for simba's eye, and it was half shut and oozing, and I think there is some skin, although it looks pretty fresh, and last time he had an eye injury it took a day or two to come through properly. He has the vets later on :(

Anyway, the OH made it completely clear after what happened to Sophie he was having no part of it, and I feel awful. It's all my fault :(

I can't stop crying :'(

It sounds as though the move back into the hutch was too soon. It is often necessary to keep new bonds in the neutral territory for several days.

I would take both Bunnies to the Vet just to be sure no injuries get missed. I hope the get on OK.

Hoping all goes well at the vets.

I agree with Jane in that 24 hours in a neutral space isn't a good enough sign of how they'll behave in territory belonging to another bun. Really you want to test reactions to new things in the environment, by adding toys or blankets, to ensure that there is no possessiveness.

Mine were together a week before being put into their room, and it'd been neutralised as best as I could. Even, then I didn't just leave them but kept a very close eye on them.

As Jane said, pop them to a vet to make sure there's no serious damage. I would separate the and start from scratch.

What a shame you didn't find this forum before bonding, it could all have been avoided :( as Vegan bunny says, i wouldn't even think of moving them from their bonding space for at least a week, sometimes longer, depending on the bunnies. And also, before moving them, you should only increase the size of their pen when they have been settled (ie. No humping, chasing or nipping) for at least 48 hours. I hope your bunnies are ok :( x

I did and was told 24 hours was long enough! Especially as they hadn't fought before that and were snuggling grooming etc :/ hopefully Simba will be okay with his eye, will it be okay to try again once he's all better? Or once they fight Is that it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Did you test their reaction to extra things in the environment? It is different when new things are introduced or they are put into another's territory, the latter it's even more important to watch but either can trigger things a totally neutral environment wouldn't.

Oh no, poor Simba.xx How did he get on at the vets and how are you feeling now?! I don't think anyone can really predict how bunnies will be together. It's a learning process for both human and rabbit. I'm just so very sorry that you found Simba that way this morning. (((hugs'n'vibes)) xx

I did and was told 24 hours was long enough! Especially as they hadn't fought before that and were snuggling grooming etc :/ hopefully Simba will be okay with his eye, will it be okay to try again once he's all better? Or once they fight Is that it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Hiya, i think someone has given you some bad advice there, it's not your fault :(

Yes it will be ok to try again, but i would wait a good few weeks to let them get over the fight first. And you must take things very slowly! Ideally you need at least 3 days where you can stay with them constantly to supervise; it's a nuisance but necessary! Even if they seem fine and snuggly, you should not move them or increase space AT ALL for 48 hours, so you can see if they really are ok together.

Thanks all for your kind words :) just got back from the vets, it was the nice rabbit savvy one :) she said the tissue around his eye is inflamed, but the eye itself looks okay and his tear ducts are okay. He is on metacam (we have a massive supply left over from Sophie!) he is also on eye drops and she seems positive about his recovery :) he's getting extra special treatment from us for now :) I will attempt bonding again, but this time i will do it for longer for sure!

Thanks all for your kind words :) just got back from the vets, it was the nice rabbit savvy one :) she said the tissue around his eye is inflamed, but the eye itself looks okay and his tear ducts are okay. He is on metacam (we have a massive supply left over from Sophie!) he is also on eye drops and she seems positive about his recovery :) he's getting extra special treatment from us for now :) I will attempt bonding again, but this time i will do it for longer for sure!

:thumb: Sounds good. Fingers crossed there won't be any fighting when you next try. I think this time of year seems to be bad for bonding, there has been lots and lots of threads about bunnies fighting! :shock:

Phew for Simba. :love: hope you are feeling better now.. Must've been quite the shock! When time is right, hope future bonding goes well. :thumb:

Yes he's looking much better this morning! I think it just needed a good clean up at the vets and it didn't look as bad then! I was gonna ask, do I need to neutralise his hutch again (from being theirs) as it will be just him going back in, or will it be all right as is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

No you only need to neutralise for bonding x

Yes he's looking much better this morning! I think it just needed a good clean up at the vets and it didn't look as bad then! I was gonna ask, do I need to neutralise his hutch again (from being theirs) as it will be just him going back in, or will it be all right as is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Back