• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bunny poops

benjiboom

Warren Scout
For the past week i have been bringing benji in at night to get him used to being indoors for the winter, he has a very large cage within a sectioned off area which is 8foot x 5foot the cage door is open all the time, i brought his litter tray in from his shed. My concern is no matter what i have tried he will not poo in the house, he has always been like this, he comes in and out of the house freely all day long , as soon as he needs to poop he goes outside, this is great in the day, but at night he "holds" his poops in and as soon as i let him in the garden he runs straight to his "spot" and does loads of poops. How can he do this and will it do him any harm? I think he thinks he's a dog!;)

Im no expert but I presume its because his toilet is outside, he probably doesnt feel like inside is his home. Maybe when he lives inside it will change once h knows thats home. Perhaps you could put some of his poops in a litter tray so he knows its allowed x

There are some in there because its the same litter tray he uses in the shed, and he flops and binkies in the house, he is really used to being inside with us, i just dont understand it, i have even bought a new litter tray and put that there too thinking he may use it to mark his territory:roll:

From my experience of Harry, then he'll really only poo where his home is. He may be used to coming inside but it's still not home. I expect, if he's toilet trained now, then he'll be fine when he's indoors permanently.

Thanks for replies, thought benji was the only bun to do this, so am relieved to hear about Harry, have been following him round all night with his litter tray, he sits in it as though he's using it, but have noticed him eating his poops, could just be his ceacotrophs, but seems to be his normal poops too:roll:maybe an idea to keep him inside for 24 hours so he has no alternative but to use his tray?

Back