• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Messy bottoms?

LeahsRabbits

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,

So my rabbit, Blossom, has been leaving cecals around the shed for a number of weeks now - And recently, it's gotten to a point where i'm having to give him a bum bath every day as he's getting poo stuck all around his bum area, and also urine (I think it's urine) is getting all over the fur on his belly.

Of course it's very uncomfortable for him, and very annoying for me as i'm the one who has to tackle the problem and clean up after him every afternoon - Not to mention stressful for both of us as the bum bath takes place

Initially we thought it could be the Burgess Excel nuggets which were causing the problem, so after switching him onto the Allen & Page Rabbit Natural Pellets - We found the problem to have stopped for a week or 2 - But around 4 days ago, the issue returned.

But ALSO 4 days ago, both my rabbits had around 4-5 dandelion leaves each, and to my belief that is what is now causing it, but I can't be sure. Leo is also leaving cecals now, but he thankfully doesn't carry a messy bottom along with him.

Both rabbits get an unlimited supply of good quality farm hay every day which they eat a lot of, aswell as an egg cup of pellets each. I've cut out all veg and forage but they still have access to grass during free range time. They also don't get many treats, I havn't gave them one for a couple of weeks now due to this reason.

Any suggestions?! I'm at the end of my tether now, I have no clue why this keeps happening with both my rabbits :(

Have they both had a recent check up by a Vet ?

There are other reasons than 'diet' that can cause a Rabbit to not eat their cecals. Mobility problems, Dental problems, 'mechanical' problems within the GI tract, obesity, environmental stress to name a few.

So first a Vet check would be a good idea to try to establish a primary cause

Giving them both some Fibreplex for a few days may help

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/protexin-fibreplex-for-rabbits-15ml-syringe.html

I don't see anything either. :(

Tried to post again last night - but something 'happened' to my internet connection. :roll:

Anyway, basically, I was saying much the same as Jane (except she was able to put it in a much more knowledgeable way) - ie that I would have them checked by the vet because as you say they are eating loads of hay and you are not feeding too many pellets, there may be underlying medical cause.

I can only repeat what the others are saying. Not eating cecals suggests only 2 things to me and that is that they are over full on pellets (which it doesn't sound like) or there is a gut issue. Vet trip would be a good idea.

Thanks for your help everyone,

I'm starting to think it's possibly the fresh bale of hay that's causing it, as somebody I spoke to said freshly cut bales might be too high in calcium etc

When I was putting my guinea pigs away last night from being in their run, I noticed their poo was dark and really smelly too, and some were mushy like cecals - So it all add's up really, I can't be sure though.

I'm going to be getting another bag of good quality hay and see if that makes a difference, if not, i'll get them vet checked.

It just seems like a co-insidance how both bunnies have it, and some of my piggies! If it was dental related i'm sure that only 1 of my bunnies would have it, as my youngest, Leo's teeth were fully examined by a vet on the second and were claimed to be in perfect condition!

Have they both had a recent check up by a Vet ?

There are other reasons than 'diet' that can cause a Rabbit to not eat their cecals. Mobility problems, Dental problems, 'mechanical' problems within the GI tract, obesity, environmental stress to name a few.

So first a Vet check would be a good idea to try to establish a primary cause

Giving them both some Fibreplex for a few days may help

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/protex...l-syringe.html

Is the supreme recovery plus similar? I have some of that in the shed :p

Thanks for your help everyone,

I'm starting to think it's possibly the fresh bale of hay that's causing it, as somebody I spoke to said freshly cut bales might be too high in calcium etc

When I was putting my guinea pigs away last night from being in their run, I noticed their poo was dark and really smelly too, and some were mushy like cecals - So it all add's up really, I can't be sure though.

I'm going to be getting another bag of good quality hay and see if that makes a difference, if not, i'll get them vet checked.

It just seems like a co-insidance how both bunnies have it, and some of my piggies! If it was dental related i'm sure that only 1 of my bunnies would have it, as my youngest, Leo's teeth were fully examined by a vet on the second and were claimed to be in perfect condition!

Is the supreme recovery plus similar? I have some of that in the shed :p

I'm sorry but the guinea pig's reactions to the hay aren't likely to have much to do with the rabbits I think. Rabbits produce cecals specifically for the extra nutrients that they require, so whilst the guinea pigs may not be agreeing with the hay, the reason you're seeing cecals is because the bunnies aren't eating them where they normally would be. I use fresh baled hay, and I believe that unless its alfalfa there shouldn't be a noticeable increase in calcium content either.

Fibreplex is thick and paste like, a stimulant rather than a recovery food, and comes premixed. I find my rabbits also prefer it to recovery food as it is sweeter.

I'm sorry but the guinea pig's reactions to the hay aren't likely to have much to do with the rabbits I think. Rabbits produce cecals specifically for the extra nutrients that they require, so whilst the guinea pigs may not be agreeing with the hay, the reason you're seeing cecals is because the bunnies aren't eating them where they normally would be. I use fresh baled hay, and I believe that unless its alfalfa there shouldn't be a noticeable increase in calcium content either.

Fibreplex is thick and paste like, a stimulant rather than a recovery food, and comes premixed. I find my rabbits also prefer it to recovery food as it is sweeter.

Well obviously haha! I'm trying to get to the bottom of why they arn't eating them in the first place. It's quite obvious that something being fed is too rich etc, and the only thing I can think of is the hay..

Blossom wasn't so bad today, he had a little bit round his bum but not half as much as yesterday. If the guinea pigs poo is dodgy too, then surely it's possible that the hay is the problem?

There really isn't anything else it could be, apart from something health wise - Leo's teeth were checked the other day and Blossom shows no sign of dental issues.. He eats without a problem and doesn't dribble or anything like that. Both rabbits are leaving them so it must be diet related, they both eat different pellets so the only thing left is the hay!

Back