• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What lop is my rabbit?

purplesponge

Warren Scout
I've always assumed Daisy our lop, is a mini lop because I remember her being a baby not so lon ago, but it's only since her bonding with Simba (and probably because he's half our size) I'm thinking she's not so mini anymore! You can see a pic of her in my signature

Maybe she is just a big mini lop. My mini lop is a mini mini lop as she is only 1kg and was by far the smallest when I got her compared to the others.

How much does she weigh, roughly? She looks more like a dwarf lop to me, minilops tend to have very flat noses whereas hers is more pointy like dwarf lops tend to be. Of course there will always be variation within both but looking at her size and shape I'd definitely think more dwarf :)

How much does she weigh, roughly? She looks more like a dwarf lop to me, minilops tend to have very flat noses whereas hers is more pointy like dwarf lops tend to be. Of course there will always be variation within both but looking at her size and shape I'd definitely think more dwarf :)

That's interesting about the nose. Yes Doughnut's is as flat as a pancake apart from when she twitches it. Santa knows more than me so I guess she is a dwarf then!

I couldn't even guess a rounded number for her weight haha I'll ask the vets next week to weigh them both, tbf she hasn't been to the vets since she was spayed and she seems to have tripled in size! What's the weight brackets for a dwarf?

2kg to 2.5 kg. Mini is about 1.5kg to 2kg. I would go by the nose though! The vet would probably know anyway.

She's probably a dwarf lop cross rather than purebred. I have a dwarf lop cross who is dwarf lop sized and shaped, but he's half lionhead so has a mane :lol: Most rabbits are going to be crosses, very few in pet shops or hobby breeders will be a breed standard.

I always thought my previous two were mini lops but it was only when I researched mini lops average weight that I realised they were probably dwarf lops as Denzil was 7lbs!!

Here is a piccy
100_0094.jpg

My new two are teeny, probs about 1kg/2lb ish each so are more than likely mini lop crosses.
image-13.jpg

Last edited:
That's interesting about the nose. Yes Doughnut's is as flat as a pancake apart from when she twitches it. Santa knows more than me so I guess she is a dwarf then!

Oh I'm no expert on bunny breeds at all! I always think though that if you imagine they have plasticine faces, minilops look as if they have run headlong into a wall and squashed the front of their face completely flat, dwarf lops can still have fairy flat noses but not usually to the extent of the minis in my experience.

Either way, they're all :love:

I couldn't even guess a rounded number for her weight haha I'll ask the vets next week to weigh them both, tbf she hasn't been to the vets since she was spayed and she seems to have tripled in size! What's the weight brackets for a dwarf?

Louie is a Dwarf lop and weighs 2.3 kg.

Maybe she is just a big mini lop. My mini lop is a mini mini lop as she is only 1kg and was by far the smallest when I got her compared to the others.

This makes me feel better - Jaffa is a mini lop and he only weighs 1.15kg. I was wondering if that was too light but maybe he's just mini mini too!

mine are mini lops sox is 1kg or just under at 0.99kg mabel is 1.29kg, sox is nearly 2yrs old mabel nearly 3yrs old,both got the flat faced looks

although you could possibly have a mixture, many rabbits sold in pet shops wont be bred to standard, ie the mini lop standard for showing etc

I think it may be the other way round.

Here are the British Rabbit Council specs for each:

Dwarf- Head
- Well developed particularly in bucks. Good width between eyes. Full cheeks and broad muzzle are desirable.

Miniature- Head
Head, Crown and Eyes
- The head is bold, broad and well developed. The profile of the head is strongly curved with a good width between the eyes, full cheeks and a broad muzzle

http://www.thebrc.org/standards/L3-Lop Dwarf.pdf
http://www.thebrc.org/standards/L8-Lop Miniature.pdf

ETA: I can't understand what they mean though so I may be wrong, but anyway those links will tell OP what the show standards are for every breed. :wave:

Back