• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What causes a rabbit to not wee after operation and how long is too long?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
Baby had to stay at the vets overnight and they rang this morning to say she looks even better and she's eaten and pood but they've not seen her wee yet, is it just pain that stops them or could there be something else? She was spayed and had a kidney removed and a bowel moved back to its normal position. Starting to get worried now, it seems a long time for her not to be weeing especially if she's had an IV drip all day and night :?

Baby had to stay at the vets overnight and they rang this morning to say she looks even better and she's eaten and pood but they've not seen her wee yet, is it just pain that stops them or could there be something else? She was spayed and had a kidney removed and a bowel moved back to its normal position. Starting to get worried now, it seems a long time for her not to be weeing especially if she's had an IV drip all day and night :?

She may be very sore and sometime cystitis occurs after a spay, not frequently but as her's was far from straight forward it might be an an issue. I assume she is on abx and pain relief ? Can the Vet feel a full bladder ? Has she had any bloods taken to see how her remaining kidney is coping ?

She may be very sore and sometime cystitis occurs after a spay, not frequently but as her's was far from straight forward it might be an an issue. I assume she is on abx and pain relief ? Can the Vet feel a full bladder ? Has she had any bloods taken to see how her remaining kidney is coping ?

Aww poor girl, well the good news is she did a big wee not long after I posted this and she's eaten loads of grass and some baby food so she's home now :D She's had really strong pain relief and had antibiotics, I've got 5 days worth of regular pain relief now too. And nope no blood tests as far as I know, although the kidney that was removed had no blood supply at all and had probably not been in use for a long time and surprisingly there'd been no change in her weight/activity/appetite despite all of the problems :shock: I didn't get copies of the pictures because they were on the nurses phone but she showed me a picture of a normal rabbits cervix (they did another spay on a healthy rabbit later that day), and then a picture of baby's, oh my goodness there was on tumour that looked bigger than an apple, and then two other things but I'm not sure which was the second tumour and which was the dead kidney :shock: It's no wonder she looked so wide and felt bigger (although the tumours were squishy so they couldn't be felt) and I assumed my grandma had let her get really badly overweight :shock:

I'm sorry I'm late on this thread. I'm so pleased that she's picking up now.
Wee probs aren't really my forte! Many people use either fresh or dried cranberries as a medicinal treat to sooth an inflammed bladder.
I've replied because if this tumour might spread, it's well worth researching ESSIAC on the internet. You are far best getting the powdered ingredients & making it up yourself, because some commercial products take short cuts which make it ineffective.
About a year ago my friend's elderly spaniel collapsed from a bleeding splenic tumour & was given 6 weeks to live. She's used ESSIAC & the old lady is still going strong bar arthritic issues.

I'm sorry I'm late on this thread. I'm so pleased that she's picking up now.
Wee probs aren't really my forte! Many people use either fresh or dried cranberries as a medicinal treat to sooth an inflammed bladder.
I've replied because if this tumour might spread, it's well worth researching ESSIAC on the internet. You are far best getting the powdered ingredients & making it up yourself, because some commercial products take short cuts which make it ineffective.
About a year ago my friend's elderly spaniel collapsed from a bleeding splenic tumour & was given 6 weeks to live. She's used ESSIAC & the old lady is still going strong bar arthritic issues.

Thankyou for the info :) The tumours have all been removed, but there's a chance it's already spread with no visible signs yet on any other organs :( I've had a look into ESSIAC and found this "the company was unable to show any efficacy of essiac against cancer. Repeated laboratory tests showed that essiac failed to slow tumor growth and, in large doses, killed test animals. In a number of studies, essiac actually increased the rate of cancer growth" so I don't think I'll risk it but thanks anyway

Thankyou for the info :) The tumours have all been removed, but there's a chance it's already spread with no visible signs yet on any other organs :( I've had a look into ESSIAC and found this "the company was unable to show any efficacy of essiac against cancer. Repeated laboratory tests showed that essiac failed to slow tumor growth and, in large doses, killed test animals. In a number of studies, essiac actually increased the rate of cancer growth" so I don't think I'll risk it but thanks anyway

Thanks very much indeed for that info - please can you give me the links. That's something very new.
I certainly wouldn't recommend anything which had any suspicion of harm. I'd very much like to read the original papers though.

Thanks very much indeed for that info - please can you give me the links. That's something very new.
I certainly wouldn't recommend anything which had any suspicion of harm. I'd very much like to read the original papers though.

Wikipedia was where the quote was from, the reference leads to here - http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/essiac/patient/Page2 (towards the bottom it mentions the animals dying or their cancer getting worse)

Cancer research UK also says tests haven't shown a benefit

Wikipedia was where the quote was from, the reference leads to here - http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/essiac/patient/Page2 (towards the bottom it mentions the animals dying or their cancer getting worse)

Cancer research UK also says tests haven't shown a benefit

Yes I know that is what cancer research UK says.
Please don't get me wrong I'm not going to try to persuade you into anything remotely suspect. I'd say don't use it until the situation has been clarified.

1st. I'm not a qualified herbalist & ignored it all my life until Thumper. But I started to understand reasons why scientific research might give false results. The plants have to be gathered at the right stage of growth, right parts used & extraction methods meticulously followed.
Essiac won't work unless the sheep sorrel root is included & that's expensive because it means destruction of a 2 year old plant. During extraction & storage the juice mustn't come into any contact with metal or it will combine with the metal to form poisonous metallic compounds (You know, don't stew rhubarb in an aluminium pan. Always stew rhubarb in glass or an enamel pan)
If youlook at the history. Nurse Cassie was treating terminally ill people totally free of any charge. Big pharma wanted the recipe but her conditiona was that it should be given free. They then did all possible to close her down. She kept very detailed notes of all her patients demanding medical diagnoses before she'd treat. She repeatedly asked that her notes be examined, but was refused. When she died a mysterious fire destroyed all her notes.
Over recent years big pharma (which funds mist of this research) has been pressuring the EU to abolish herbal meds.

TBH I'm much more used to it from the other side. I'm more used to drug reps telling me about a new miracle wonder drug - & thinking,"Yeah, give it 3-4 years on the market & we'll find out what the real problems are with it. As for me, I'll stick with the devil I know unless there's a very clear advantage". People didn't like me for that!

I was a student when Valium, diazepam 1st came out, & it was a remarkable improvement. It was marketed as "non dependancy /addictive." Our Prof of Pharmacology told us not to believe it, because of the molecular structure, & never prescribe more than a 2 week course. That was in 1974. How much suffering could have been avoided!

Like you, Demismith I struggle & struggle to try to glimpse the truth these days. On this matter I honestly don't know where the truth lies now.

A very big thank you indeed for directing me to this information. I would hate to mislead anyone, especially on a matter as serious as this. I've a lot more research to do myself. You've been a good friend to me tonight.:thumb:

I've looked at one of the references in Wickepaedia which doesn't say how it came to it's conclusions. There is no description of the experiments. This is the key to ascertaning the validity of the conclusions,
http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/herb/essiac
Interestingly there is a communication from marie cassie with this institution here
http://www.healthfreedom.info/SHEEP SORREL ROOTS EXPENSIVE.htm
She explains it all.
I won't highjack your thred any more, I just advise care. Money is the motivating factor thrugh out the drug industry.

:wave: Hi sorry to hi jack. I doubt that anyone's bothering to read this now. It's important.
wickipaedia mentions accelerated tumour growth - terrible isn't it?

Nurse Cassie herself mentions occasional increased size of the primary tumour at the beginning of treatment & what to do about it - reduce the medicine.

We also see this mainly with radiotherapy. It happens in very sensitive tumours as a result of massive death of cancer cells. When cells die, they absorb a lot of fluid so the "lump" gets bigger. what do we do? reduce the dose of radiotherapy.

I disagree totally with Nurse Cassie's explanation of why the primary gets bigger but she was working without the facilities or knowledge we have today.
For me it becomes imperative to read the original research against Essiac. Were X-R done to confirm that the increased size was indeed solid tumour, or in the absence of XR or MRI scan confirmation we've an alternative explaination of "very effective" in killing cancer cells. They've come nowhere near to proving their case against her on those grounds.

Also "some lab animals died under treatment", but it doesn't mention dosage. It's absolutely standard to increase the dose of a drug under research intil 50% of the animals tested die. It's called the Lethal Dose 50. LD50. I know it's absolutely horrible.

I'm just trying to say that we really do have to be careful with these things. As I reflect, the Wikipaedia article is so scientifically ambiguous I can find 2 flaws in it without any research, or much thought. I'm totally brain dead at the mo -shattered.

Back