• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm not sure if my rabbits are pregnant

georgiaanna

Young Bun
Hello everyone,
I'm going to try and explain this as best as I can as it is very confusing,
Basically I took my rabbit to the vets to be sexed 3 times and they said it was a girl, anyway cut along story short I caught him humping the other female rabbits and found he had testicles! He is defiantly a boy. They were together for about a month if that. I took my 3 females rabbits to the vet and the vet palpated them and said she thought two were pregnant, I counted from the day I took Percy out and it is 31 days today, and still no babies? How long are rabbits pregnant for? I know 28-31 days but can this go over? And are there any symptoms of pregnancy I can look out for?
Thank you

Ps they are all separated now and have being for 31 days.x

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure if they haven't had babies by 31 days they aren't pregnant. Maybe give it a few extra days just to be sure. Have they built nests? And have they been more jumpy when you go near their stomachs?

Thank you for replying, yes they have being jumpy, nope no nests yet! I had 2 different vets feel there tummys and tell me they're pregnant? It's so confusing, they have all seem to had had soft stools too?

Gestation period can extend to 32 days. If it goes beyond that prompt Veterinary attention is needed.

The Doe will usually build a nest about 24 hours before kindling. She will charge about with hay/straw in her mouth to make the nest and she will pull fur from her belly and chest to line it.

About 12 hours before kindling she is likely to eat significantly less than normal

It can be quite tough to ID pregnancy in rabbits, and as your vet couldn't ID boys and girls, I wouldn't give too much weight to accuracy on pregnancy detection.

They can go over a few days, but it would be unusual for both and you'd expect to see signs of nesting by now I'd have thought.

I'd get a checkup if nothing turns up, just because they are youngsters but you could use it as the pre op check for spaying/neutering whilst you are there, and book them in for that if it turns out you are clear.

Thank you, I have had a litter before. I bought 2 male rabbits from a breeder, came home after work to clean them out and found babies,-breeder sexed them wrong,thank goodness I saw them as they nearly ended up in the bin! She had 3, then a month later had a second litter of 5, so together now I have 13 rabbits due to buying 2 more and having my sister in laws she did not want anymore. But having had half of them castrated the vets got the one sex wrong, so as you can hear it is a bit of a mess lol but I love them to bits and they have the most fantastic life,:D

Back