• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

3 yrs old, such bad ovarian cancer it'd taken a kidney and nearly her bowels with it

DemiS

Warren Veteran
Baby went in for a spay today, they found enormous tumours on her ovaries, they're pretty sure they're cancerous and although it doesn't look like it's spread, her body in an effort to heal itself took the nearest tissue meaning her bowel and kidneys were all mangled up and she'd had to have a kidney removed

She's only three years old and if we'd of delayed her spay a few weeks she'd be dead :( I'm in shock

Last edited:
Baby went in for a spay today, they found enormous tumours on her ovaries, they're pretty sure they're cancerous and although it doesn't look like it's spread, her body in an effort to heal itself took the nearest tissue meaning her bowel and kidneys were all mangled up and she'd had to have a kidney removed

She's only three years old and if we'd of delayed her spay a few weeks she'd be dead :( I'm in shock

:cry:

I really hope she can recover. Did the Vet do a chest Xray whilst she was under GA ?

Poor Baby! It makes me sad that these things can often be avoided but people don't spay.

I hope she recovers well poor little thing. What a shock for you.

:cry:

I really hope she can recover. Did the Vet do a chest Xray whilst she was under GA ?

I'm not sure, they didn't mention it specifically. What would the xray be for? They said they have pictures showing the tumour but I don't know if its just regular camera photos of what they'd removed or an X ray

I'm not sure, they didn't mention it specifically. What would the xray be for? They said they have pictures showing the tumour but I don't know if its just regular camera photos of what they'd removed or an X ray

When uterine/ovarian cancer spreads it usually goes to the lungs. So a chest Xray may give a more detailed prognosis for her.

When uterine/ovarian cancer spreads it usually goes to the lungs. So a chest Xray may give a more detailed prognosis for her.

Oh right, I'll ask when I go back. They mentioned that her liver looked fine but nothing about lungs, and they only mentioned extra cost to do with how much longer it's taken, nothing about an X ray so probably not :(

Thanks everyone. They couldn't believe that she'd been eating fine and not been extra hormonal or anything recently (especially considering the tumours were so big they could see them as soon as they shaved her, I knew she looked chunky but I never felt any lumps), luckily she's come round really well, much quicker than expected so hopefully they can get her eating and I can bring her home today

Oh my goodness :shock: what an awful shock! Hopefully your little fluffball is out of the woods now she's been spayed, that was very lucky!xx

Oh no :cry: Hope they managed to get rid of all the tumours and it hasn't spread any further. Sending lots of vibes for Baby xx

What a horrible shock for you, but at least the spay meant that it was found and the vet could deal with it. I'm nervous about getting daisy spayed in a few months but this is a reminder of how important it is. Sending lots of vibes, and good wishes.

Thankyou again, and yeah it's such a shock :( Everytime I heard '80% risk of getting it by 5' I always thought ah she's got a good few years yet before it has to be done, just goes to show it can hit a healthy young rabbit so please don't hesitate, get it done asap because those extra few weeks you do it earlier could mean the difference between life and death. I'm considering asking for the photos they've taken so they can be used in a spay campaign or something, apparently one of the tumours was the size of a small orange, I've no idea how I couldn't of felt it when the vet could see as soon as she was shaved :?

Thankyou again, and yeah it's such a shock :( Everytime I heard '80% risk of getting it by 5' I always thought ah she's got a good few years yet before it has to be done, just goes to show it can hit a healthy young rabbit so please don't hesitate, get it done asap because those extra few weeks you do it earlier could mean the difference between life and death. I'm considering asking for the photos they've taken so they can be used in a spay campaign or something, apparently one of the tumours was the size of a small orange, I've no idea how I couldn't of felt it when the vet could see as soon as she was shaved :?

Yeah I think it's still rare for the majority of people to think its necessary to neuter their rabbits. As I have a boy and a girl obviously it was a no brainer for me, but then again I chose a boy/girl combo on the advice of an experienced breeder, who also informed me of the necessity of neutering. When I went to the vets with Levi for his op, I was given a post care sheet that had been written for cats because apparently, the vets don't get many rabbits in for operations. Surely if everyone with rabbits got them spayed then this would simply not be the case? The post care sheet didn't matter, Levi was fine anyway and it didn't tell me anything the vet didn't tell me themselves or I already knew. It simply surprised me that rabbit neutering was considered uncommon.

I rang about 5 hours after the op to be told she's bouncing round the cage :shock: Crazy thing, they've decided to keep her overnight though because she lost so much blood and fluid that they want to keep her on the drip, and also they haven't seen her wee yet and she's not eating as much as they'd like so it's just to be on the safe side :)

Back