• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spoken to vet

Carolinew5

Warren Scout
and she said will do both together next thursday .. so have brought a dog crate so they can have a little exercise but not too much and 2 nice fleecy blankets what else do i need for there after care would newspaper be ok or should i buy puppy pads ?? im scared, worried but excited to get them together again much healthier for them as they are both at risk of cancer in later life i don't want that ill worry now till they are healthy and recovered both my babies under the knife :cry:

A litter tray so they don't forget how to use on, put soft hay in it too so they can munch. Not much else you haven't covered I think.

Just make sure you have plenty of their favourite foods in stock, in case they don't feel like eating, so you can tempt them. And make sure the vet gives you painkiller (metacam) to give them for a few days afterwards :wave:

Ah try not to worry, I know it's hard to think of them going under the knife :( I still cry my eyes out if I have to leave any of mine at the vets :oops:

I'm sure they will be fine though :D

aaah wishing them well and a fast recover.
When my does were spayed & buck neutered this is what I did...

Dog crate or small cage to make sure not to much excess hopping was done..especially no heights...for about 1 week.
Line cage with newspaper and then puppy pads ontop..as long as they are not chewers.
Fleece blanket one side for warmth, litter tray the other side and a cool area for them if needed.
Small lipped litter tray...not high sided - you dont want them catching themselves by mistake.
Hay stuffed into toilet rolls to stop any getting into their wounds if it were on the ground. Try keep base of cage relatively clean.
Bowl of water...easier & more natural way for bunny to drink from...especially when ill/recovering.
Bottle attached to side of cage as secondary option and I would know they had water if they wee'd in the bowl etc
Cover part of the cage for buns to feel safe, and nice darker area for them to sleep...
Favourite foods...to encourage eating...fresh foliage / foraged plants, fresh herbs...appple leaves/branches etc....and fresh hay.
Post-op Meds can be mashed into a small bit of banana....they gobble it up..or a favourite food....less stressful to medicate the buns.
Try assess bunnies wounds when they are sleeping on their sides...often their tummies will show & you can check for any problems..or if wound is healing well. Will be al ittle inflamed afterwards...but the redness should go down and there should be no seepage.

When I took mine in...I took each bunny their own fleece blanket that was NOT washed..it had all their own smells on and is a comfort for them after they have had their operation.
I also packed a lunchbox for them each...fresh / dried favourite foods and their own brand of pellets for them to be fed after the operation by the nurses. This really helped - the nurse told me - as they gobbled it up and it encouraged them to start eating hay etc.
The stitches should be dis-solvable...and you will go in for a post-op check a few days later.
The vet should keep bunny in until they have eaten, pooped & wee'd. if they have not yet wee'd ..then keep an eye on bunny until they have.

One of my does had to stay in for the night..but the other doe was fine....so I left them to stay in together..they were in cages next to each other..for comfort. All was fine...they just wanted to make sure the wound was ok on one doe.

hope this helps...this was just from my own experience ;)
Hope it all goes well for you.

Back