• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Clip, clip, clip

aatkin

Warren Scout
Very shortly I am going to gather my bunnies up and take them to the vet to have their nails clipped. I know the vet trip can be stressful, but as I've never clipped ANY animals' nails before I figure the first go could be done by them while I learn how to do it properly. They are longer than anyone would like at the moment, seem to have shot out in the last couple of weeks, but I now suspect they may have been due for a clip a bit ago but as they weren't shedding fur the nails didn't look so long. Then the fluff came off the paws and BOOM! I shall make a mental note to check their paws more closely from now on, especially as it looks like Emerson may have a declaw!

After my failed clipping attempt (3 nails out of 36) I took mine to the vet and the nurses did them. I never would have managed on my own, especially with Jaffa who squirmed the whole time and hated it even with one nurse holding and one clipping.

For me it was totally worth the expense!

Yeah, I was surprised by how reasonable it was! They are due back at the vets in December for their vaccinations, so I'll have their nails checked again then (not sure how fast they grow, Emerson's definitely faster than Peabody's), but we might try ourselves the next time after that, as a tag team! Emerson's are quite dark, so even the vet didn't want to take them too short in case of nicking the quick, so I think his will have to be done more often.

They behaved very well, but they are royally peeved at me now... I'm winning back their love with treats and by not pestering them today!

Back