• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how do outdoor buns cope with firework night???

moi

Mama Doe
Sorry I know its a while off. Around here firework night is never just on the night, it seems to last a week x

I worried about our boys last year but they took it all in their stride. I think it depends on many things, your set up, personality of buns etc. We blocked the window to the boys shed with a towel and left a light on ( one of the battery ones) so they didn't notice the bright lights so much, then we took it in turns popping out to check on them and giving them a few treats. We're also lucky that our boys are quite laid back about things.

Lucky you every night for about a month here. Poppy gets quite startled and thumps back at them sometimes.

Last year some ******** here set off a rocket about three in the morning and it was the biggest one I'd heard in my life!! It made me jump awake and out my bed then poppy thumped and clover (who's inside) wouldn't stop thumping they both had to get a few crunchies and lots of nose rubs to calm down!

I think most just get used to it. I imagine they hear a lot more outside, cars and loud people, so it's not a huge change. Indoor rabbits are a bit pampered I think :lol:

Mine were fine last year, but none went off too close. Barney is deaf so he didn't realise and Annabella seemed to cope fine. I made sure to check on them throughout the evening and fed them cammomile flowers.

If there are any nearby, say next door, on a particular night I would consider bringing them indoors. They are used to lots of noise outside though so I hope they will be okay.

We also get them for about a month, and then sporadically on other nights of the year. Thankfully the bunnies and chooks have always been fine- it's not that dissimilar to a thunderstorm really. We have a yearly airshow here and the planes go over our house for a couple of days a year and they don't even flinch. Jake (the cat) is terrified of it all though, so I guess it is down to individual personalities.

Mine dont seem bothered but then we live on a estate where kids seem to scream all day! The dog dont bother and just sleeps or will sometimes watch them through the windoe but strangely the fire going off in a hot air balloon will make him bark ! And the cat goes outside, sits on thd fence and watches thd fun lol

Mine don't seem bothered by them either, even Lola who's much more nervy than Alfie is/Bubbles was. Over the last month or so, people have been frequently letting off fireworks on a Saturday night in a nearby field. I went rushing outside the first time it happened to check on the bunnies and they were both asleep. :roll::lol:

they thumped a bit at first then they got used to them.they do thump if theres strange noises they are not familiar with

Yeah, I wooried about mine the first couple of years but they don't seem to care! I still go out and check them but they're always fine. Our direct neighbours are elderly though so we don't have any directly next door, but dairly close as we live next to the beach. I used to worry about the dogs barking more as we have a really annoying dog next door but they just ignore her too!!! They're good boys :)

Hi :wave:
Mine were ok last year, but we have moved now so I think we may have more. I'll see how they go on, shut the blinds over the patio doors, they always have their boxes to hide in and make sure they gets lots of fuss :)
It is'nt that far away

Mine are not bothered at all. My house rabbit though freaks out so we have to have the t.v. on really loud.

One of our dogs is TERRIFIED of fireworks. I have only had all the rabbits since last november so will wait and see. I hope they will be fine ...

Mine have never been phased, but then, they're out all year round, and hear all sorts of banging going on during our windy Scottish storms, so I don't think bangs really bother them!

Back