• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Costs...

purplesponge

Warren Scout
How much do your buns cost you a month? On food/hay/bedding etc. I've never added it all up but I know it's the majority of my wages!

I only spend money on hay and that is £16 - £48 a month. I have a 10kg bag of SS but they get fed so little pellets I'm still with a nearly fully bag, also with fibrefirst sticks they have one each a day and they're lasting a while.

(Not including any vet bills)

Ludo probably has 1.5 bags of hay a month. They're £2.79 each. He eats a bag of SS pellets maybe every 3-4 months, so say £1 a month. Since January he's cost £160 for stasis, £20 for a health check and nail clipping with the vet and £55 for neutering. His greens are entirely foraged.

He has toys and treats but mostly homemade, I spend about £2 a month on them. So that's £38 a month, and if I exclude the cost of neutering as he won't need neutering again, but still include a 3-day intensive vet bill it works out at just over £31 a month.

About £5 for four. I buy a big bedding bale and a sack of food every few months I think, I used to be sponsored by excel so I have a huge amount of hay in the garage that's lasted me years although it wont last much longer, but then bales of hay only cost a few pounds. Farmers often do hay in the fields behind the house too so once they've baled it we go around the edges and telephone posts and rake up what their tractors can't get to (we have permission) and that lasts a month or two. So yeah I barely pay much at all, although Baby's going in for a spay tomorrow and I'll need to buy bedding and food this month so it's more expensive than usual :lol:

Insurance is my biggest cost. I spend over £100 a month on insurance, probably nearer £120 *gulp*.

Between 9 rabbits, spring greens is my next biggest expense £20 - £25 per month, hay about £5 per month - wonderful bales from a farm about 5 miles away, pellets hardly anything as buy a 10kg sack of Alpha pellets which lasts ages probably about £1.50 a month.

I have four rabbits and two guinea pigs.

Food wise is hay, treat hay, pellets and megazorb i worked out to cost me about £400 a year.

Vet bills are through the roof due to having a tummy bunny, A clumsy bunny and a guinea pig who's previous owner lied to the rescue and she's ill too.

For two buns. We buy a bale of hay from the farm shop for £5.99 and it lasts about 5-6 weeks. SS pellets, a £2.99 bag last just over 2 months ( I think?? Could be more??). Other than that I grow herbs in the summer but buy them in the winter, or forage where possible. Plus a few bits of greens ( only a few pounds a month) thrown in the basket when shopping. Insurance wise £18 per month for both.

Oh my goodness. You all manage to do it so cheaply! :shock: my hay alone costs about £120 a month from hay for pets!! The bales round here were awful last season so I resorted to h4p which they all love. Insurance is £40, greens probably £50, treats £10... Also vet trips and occasional toys... I'm skint :lol:

£10 plus vets bills which tend to be about £1000 a year. So roughly £30 a month.

If I have to buy pet shop hay I spend about £25 a month just on hay :roll:

Got a bale recently though, so this month hay has only been about £7 total (only 1 bag of treat hay) and litter is about £5-10 depending on weather. Barney's VetCare Digestive pellets are £5, Annabella's Fibafirst must only cost £1 a month and their Profibre pellets are about £10 a month. Veggies not a lot, maybe £8 a month. Then probably about £5-15 on toys or accessories for them, e.g. this month I spent £15 on a new brush and a harness.

Then there are vet fees for Barney - Metaclopramide costs me about £40 a month and not sure about bisolvon. Then it costs me £25 to travel to the vet and £30 for the consultation, usually do that once a month. Insurance covers most of the vet fees though, that's about £12 a month for Barney I think, Annabella isn't insured any more.

Annually there are bigger costs of course - Annabella has a check up and they both have vaccinations. And then there are improvements to their housing which happens every now and again and costs a fair amount at a time.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness. You all manage to do it so cheaply! :shock: my hay alone costs about £120 a month from hay for pets!! The bales round here were awful last season so I resorted to h4p which they all love. Insurance is £40, greens probably £50, treats £10... Also vet trips and occasional toys... I'm skint :lol:

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

That is a lot on hay!

£21 a month insurance (for 2)
£3 a month or less on bedding - megazorb costs £7 a bag and lasts more than 3 months
£3 a month on hay - my bales last at least 2 months and cost £6
£1 a month on readigrass - I bought a 15kg bag last year and I still have more than half left. I give them a massive bowl full twice a day
£5 a month on pellets? Less than that probably! I decant it too much to be able to tell :lol: I buy 10kg for like £11.
£5-7 on veg a week, so £20- £28 a month
£5 on toys per month?
£20 for other bits and bobs - bought a new light for their shed a month or two ago which cost £23... etc

When Nena was going to the vets every week that cost me a lot in petrol and more for recovery food and other things...

For two bunnies per month I spend:

£ 9 on meadow hay.
£ 2 on readigrass
£13 on rabbit litter (wood pellets)
£ 3 on burges / SS pellets.

I stocked up on dried forage months ago so haven't added that in. I also put aside the money I would spend on pet insurance into a vet fund every month which is £20. We only have one company over here that offers rabbit insurance and the excess is €150 so it wasn't worth our while as our vet has never charged us that much in all the time we have been going to him , so we decided on a vet fund instead :)

We are a veggie mad household so there are always plenty of greens for them and I don't add that onto the bunny budget. They get whatever we use in our own meals on any given day :)

I buy a £16 bag of ings every two months, their pellets cost £8 for about 4 months. They get £1 a week on veg (bag of curly kale, they share my brocoli etc). In winter they get £20 a month of dried herbs (as they don't have as much grass), in summer, they get about £6 a month (p&p and fenugreek crunchies).

Then I pay their insurance with I think is £26 but I'm swapping when its up cos I got quoted £16!

Oh then I pay £6 every couple of months for megazorb, £5 for straw but I only buy about 3 bags a year of that (sometimes more in winter).

So about £50-£60 a month, not including their vet trips (they get their yearly vaccine, plus 6 month check up) then any unexpected - eg, rupert cost us £110 this month for his gas emergency vet trip!

When we first got them, I spent a small fortune buying stuff here and there, soon put a stop to that, consdiering they never both with anything other than the regular things they get (mentioned above).

BUT - just thought, the megazorb is for the hamster too, so not FULLY for rupert and tia :D

When we were first getting the rabbits / discussing it, I said I'd give up my one bottle of wine a week to pay for them, and I've literally stuck to it :)

Yaretzi do you mind if I ask where you got a huge bag of the readi grass please, I have bought a small bag today but my giant will only eat this it seems so would rather buy in bulk

I buy freeze-dried grass from deemillen.co.uk it's £10 for 4kg but if you want even more its worth emailing her because she usually will consider specific requests.

Not much. I buy everything in bulk. Probably two bales a month £10, sack of food £10 and three bags of megazorb £21. It's the surprise vet bills that get me.

Back