• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Buns U/D 27.08.13

Sweetie

Mama Doe
Hi Everyone

I adopted 2 little lops from the RSPCA yesterday. They are roughly 20weeks old and were hand reared by the foster carer from about 7-10 days old.

I think they are mini lops but they are so tiny, probably about a kg each if that. The girl, Skip has been spayed but Wotsit the boy is not yet neutered as he isn't ready. It's estimated he'll be ready in about 2-4 weeks.

Are hand reared baby's usually smaller than naturally raised ones as I remember my previous boy, Denzil being this size when he was 9 weeks old! He was supposed to be a mini lop like these as well. What age do bunnies stop growing usually? These two are like proper babies.

They are so adorable but just so tiny. They're settling in well but have been a bit confused about the huge room they have to themselves now :lol: They also seem to create a poop explosion every time I leave the room! It's still early days for litter training, particularly as Wotsit isn't done.

So, it's been 8 years since I've had such young rabbits as my last pair, Daisy and Denzil, I had until they were nearly 8 and nearly 7 respectively. Any tips on dealing with such young and tiny bunnies?

They have their favourite veggies at tea time and for now, whilst they settle in I'm not introducing any new foods......I'll do this over time.

Here are the little cuties

image-13.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sorry don't have any advice for baby buns, but they are absolutely gorgeous! :love:Will have to try and stop myself from coming and stealing them! :lol:

Squeeeee!!! :love::love: It was lovely to meet you Holly, so sorry i was in such a rush! I do think they are mini lop crosses, their ears are a little big for mini lops. Now they are approx 5 months old, i can't see them growing much more, it will be interesting to see how big they do actually get. They have been very well cared for, my mum is missing them lots! Thank you so much for giving them their forever home :love:

I remember reading about these on the website! There were three brought in weren't there?

There were 4 altogether, 2 boys and 2 girls, brothers and sisters. They were found in a box under a hedge when they were around 7-10 days old. The foster carer hand reared them. I did want all 4 but a lady adopted the other 2 before I got chance to. They're adorable.

Squeeeee!!! :love::love: It was lovely to meet you Holly, so sorry i was in such a rush! I do think they are mini lop crosses, their ears are a little big for mini lops. Now they are approx 5 months old, i can't see them growing much more, it will be interesting to see how big they do actually get. They have been very well cared for, my mum is missing them lots! Thank you so much for giving them their forever home :love:

Hi Becky

Didn't realise you had posted on here, sorry. It was lovely to meet you too. I sent your Mom a piccy on Monday. They are settling in well. Only 1 accident outside the litter tray today, the poops are another matter though :lol:

They love their hay toys, I've already been back to the pet shop to buy more, they'd demolished the others by Monday morning! They've certainly got good appetites which is great. Going to slowly introduce new veggies soon, see how they get on.

I'm curious to see how they grow. I looked online and their markings look similar to a Dwarf Hotot so there might be some of that in the family line somewhere.

I'll keep you updated with pictures! Your mom did a fantastic job with them, they are beauties!

Ahh i remember looking at those two so lovely but it was too far away for me to get them :( ... Glad they have gone to a good home :)

So, the little ones are settling in well but I'm having real issues with the litter training. One of them (and I think it's Skip, the spayed girlie) is not exactly fond of the litter tray when it comes to weeing and, neither seem to be able to poop in there either.

Its only a week in so it is still early days but could I have given them too much space too soon? I.e. should I have gotten them used to the cage and half the room first before giving them free run of their room?

It's been so long since I've litter trained that I'm a bit rusty. I've read up on it and have been cleaning up accidents, putting the soiled kitchen towel in the litter tray then spraying the area with white vinegar to neutralise the smell........this doesn't seem to be working.

Any ideas folks???

Aww it's only early days, these things take time :wave: are they good hay munchers? What is in the litter tray? It usually helps if the litter tray is full of hay, as they like to munch and poop at the same time :wave:

So, the little ones are settling in well but I'm having real issues with the litter training. One of them (and I think it's Skip, the spayed girlie) is not exactly fond of the litter tray when it comes to weeing and, neither seem to be able to poop in there either.

Its only a week in so it is still early days but could I have given them too much space too soon? I.e. should I have gotten them used to the cage and half the room first before giving them free run of their room?

It's been so long since I've litter trained that I'm a bit rusty. I've read up on it and have been cleaning up accidents, putting the soiled kitchen towel in the litter tray then spraying the area with white vinegar to neutralise the smell........this doesn't seem to be working.

Any ideas folks???

My two who are 5 months old have yet to work out the concept of the litter tray either. In that they do use it to an extent but also still like to use other corners of their hutch too. I'm going for the 'perseverance is key' attitude and just hoping one morning I'll get up and see they there have been no 'accidents'. Though mine are outside so it is less of an issue. I'd just like them to use a tray to help preserve their hutch and to make it easier to clean regularly.

Aww it's only early days, these things take time :wave: are they good hay munchers? What is in the litter tray? It usually helps if the litter tray is full of hay, as they like to munch and poop at the same time :wave:

They are hay monsters!! They have 2 bowls full, a hay rack over the litter tray and hay in the litter tray itself. They have also gone through 3 alfalfa hay rings in a week, had to stop that habit as they are £4 a pop........was getting very costly!!

My two who are 5 months old have yet to work out the concept of the litter tray either. In that they do use it to an extent but also still like to use other corners of their hutch too. I'm going for the 'perseverance is key' attitude and just hoping one morning I'll get up and see they there have been no 'accidents'. Though mine are outside so it is less of an issue. I'd just like them to use a tray to help preserve their hutch and to make it easier to clean regularly.

That's reassuring! I thought they were just defying me :lol:

Wotsit hasn't been done yet.....he is only just, faintly reaching puberty.......if you know what I mean :lol: but, he isn't particularly messy with his wees.

It's as if they have each others characteristics!

Back