• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cats and rabbits

shakiraminilop

Warren Scout
my rabbit is in garden in run and cat keep coming in scaring him had bring him in as scared have heart attack was running round like mad loony ran up the cage to get out what do u do ?
IMG_0181.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Provide a bolt hole for him to hide, he has no cover in there at all to hide from predators, so he is enabling his 'flight or fight' mechanism and in this event, flight...

Chase the cat out, rather than photograph it :/

do u ever leave ur rabbit unattended in run i would feel bad leave him in cage all day? im thinking get chicken wire put around cage maybe ? i dnt know cat ran of as soon as i banged on window

Not wishing to be critical but the run is very exposed, having only mesh on all 4 sides. This will also offer no protection against the elements. We screwed a sheet of wood to one of our sides and in very bad weather I leaned another sheet of wood up, kind of in an L shape, which offered brilliant protection as they'd sit in the corner of the L out of the wind and rain. This also made them feel safer.

I would recommend that you put in at least one box on its side for your bunny to hide in and/or fix some wood on the run.

I would also recommend chasing the cat away by any means necessary.

Not wishing to be critical but the run is very exposed, having only mesh on all 4 sides. This will also offer no protection against the elements. We screwed a sheet of wood to one of our sides and in very bad weather I leaned another sheet of wood up, kind of in an L shape, which offered brilliant protection as they'd sit in the corner of the L out of the wind and rain. This also made them feel safer.

I would recommend that you put in at least one box on its side for your bunny to hide in and/or fix some wood on the run.

I would also recommend chasing the cat away by any means necessary.

yes good idea i do feel it is very exposed myself this is why i worry! will b looking for wood or maybe i will just use tarpaulin stuff round it

do u ever leave ur rabbit unattended in run i would feel bad leave him in cage all day? im thinking get chicken wire put around cage maybe ? i dnt know cat ran of as soon as i banged on window

By "cage" do you mean hutch? I have no desire to insult you but are you English because I find your posts hard to read, particularly as you are using text speak (which isn't necessary on here).

Yes, unless your hutch is particularly large I wouldn't leave your bunny in it all day. My girls have access to their hutch which is inside a shed which also has a run attached to it, so they have lots of floor space to bounce about in. They are also allowed out into the garden 3-4 times a day (weather and time permitting) to free-range.

If you put chicken wire around the hutch so your bunny can come out then you need to make sure it is predator proof as normal chicken wire is very flimsy. Also your rabbit will jump out of it unless it is too tall - and if you make it high then it will be even weaker so you must ensure it's done correctly otherwise it will be a waste of time. Be aware that birds of prey will take a rabbit too, if the Raptor is big enough and your bunny is small enough; another reason to have a top on it. Cats can also jump over small fences and the last thing you want is that cat actually in the run/area with your rabbit as my money would, quite frankly, be on the cat.

I hope you are successful in getting rid of the cat.

yes good idea i do feel it is very exposed myself this is why i worry! will b looking for wood or maybe i will just use tarpaulin stuff round it

Tarpauline has to be heavy duty or it will rip and of course the wind will blow it around like something demented and it only needs a small breeze to do that (as I found out :lol:) so it has to be secure.

You have a lovely name, by the way, "Shakira". Don't hear it very often, which is a shame.

By "cage" do you mean hutch? I have no desire to insult you but are you English because I find your posts hard to read, particularly as you are using text speak (which isn't necessary on here).

Yes, unless your hutch is particularly large I wouldn't leave your bunny in it all day. My girls have access to their hutch which is inside a shed which also has a run attached to it, so they have lots of floor space to bounce about in. They are also allowed out into the garden 3-4 times a day (weather and time permitting) to free-range.

If you put chicken wire around the hutch so your bunny can come out then you need to make sure it is predator proof as normal chicken wire is very flimsy. Also your rabbit will jump out of it unless it is too tall - and if you make it high then it will be even weaker so you must ensure it's done correctly otherwise it will be a waste of time. Be aware that birds of prey will take a rabbit too, if the Raptor is big enough and your bunny is small enough; another reason to have a top on it. Cats can also jump over small fences and the last thing you want is that cat actually in the run/area with your rabbit as my money would, quite frankly, be on the cat.

I hope you are successful in getting rid of the cat.
no I have a cage due to me rescuing this bunny of the streets can look through previous thread he was wild for two months! He is in dog cage in my house safe I'm also very much English but I'm being lazy in my text speech

Last edited:
Back