• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bladder problems

helens

Warren Scout
Hi, just wondering if anyone has any advice. My female rabbit (aged 2) has been suffering with inflamed and sore skin around her genitals for a few months. Initially the vet treated the skin infection and then carried out ultrasounds and X-rays. These showed sludge in her bladder which he flushed out. The X-rays showed no sign of arthirits. She has been on metacam and septrin for the past three weeks but I have seen no improvement. I am still needing to clean her daily to get the urine off her skin and fur. Her skin is still sore looking. I was advised to reduce the amount of herbs I was giving her and she now has only the tiniest amount. She is going back to the vets this week but I just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar. Thanks

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any advice. My female rabbit (aged 2) has been suffering with inflamed and sore skin around her genitals for a few months. Initially the vet treated the skin infection and then carried out ultrasounds and X-rays. These showed sludge in her bladder which he flushed out. The X-rays showed no sign of arthirits. She has been on metacam and septrin for the past three weeks but I have seen no improvement. I am still needing to clean her daily to get the urine off her skin and fur. Her skin is still sore looking. I was advised to reduce the amount of herbs I was giving her and she now has only the tiniest amount. She is going back to the vets this week but I just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar. Thanks
Hi we are having the same problem too my vet has said limit pellets to but give plenty of wet veg that isn't high in calcium.also your bun may have become immune to septrin and may need a different one
has bun had the sludge removed

Hi, thanks for the reply. What veg do you give to your bun? I've cut parsley out as that is high in calcium but have still been giving her coriander. I've also limited her pellets. She had the sludge removed nearly three weeks ago. I really hope it's not formed again so soon

I tend to wash the veg to make it 'wet' to help with this. :thumb:

If you Google it, you find some quite good papers about this problem and the relative calcium content of vegetables. I'll see if I can find any.

I tend to wash the veg to make it 'wet' to help with this. :thumb:

If you Google it, you find some quite good papers about this problem and the relative calcium content of vegetables. I'll see if I can find any.
Why burnt toast?

It just helped to keep a bit of weight on given his diet was restricted. He was a big bunny - frenchie. He loved it but it needs to be very burnt so as not to upset the tummy. :thumb:
Just thought you knew a good bunny trick
:lol:

Back