• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Skin condition

Gosnold

Young Bun
Anyone had any experience of a rabbit with a skin condition? Dill my nethie x lionhead is losing the fur on his paws and the skin is red and scaly. He's has two lots of antibiotics and the vet suggested putting sudacream on and to change his bedding from hay to a paper based bedding which I have done. Antibiotics finished today (thank god because I got bitten again !!!! Bless him) but still not fully healed. Vets don't seem to know what it is.

is your vet rabbit savvy? if not, i would find one and go there instead. it sounds like the beginnings of sore hocks. this typically starts on the heel but can affect the whole foot aswell i think.

putting lots of cream on isn't recommended usually as it can make the area too moist and trap any infection.

with bisc's heels i have to put a tiny bit of cream on before the skin cracks. if it does crack, then i have to bathe it twice once a day with salt water and then apply cream or honey. it's important not to over bathe or over cream.

usually manuka honey is prescribed and depending on how bad it is, the bun feet can be bandaged to help.

the other thing to note is that this can sometimes appear through arthritis aswell. the bun can't stand or move correctly and places pressure on the feet. a rabbit vet can check the buns movements and this can show them if arthritis is likely. also an xray can diagnose. metacam can help with pain aswell as being an anti-inflammatory aswell. your bun should have been given this already as he will likely be in pain.

i would have though hay would be a good bedding as it is soft but others can advise with this.

hope others see this so you have more opinions. if you need help finding a rabbit vet, just start a new thread with your postcode and someone can hopefully help. :wave:

eta: just re-read. i thought you meant the underneath of the foot? if you mean the top then it could be fungal perhaps? :wave:

There are quite a few different things that could cause that for example mites, mange, fungus, even an allergy. They might be causing the underlying irritation and then that's left the skin susceptible to infection. There might be a root cause you need to ID to resolve it. Have the vet done a skin scrapping (they do that to look for parasites)? They can also do some tests for fungus and also might take a culture to grow to check if there are any bacteria that are killed better by a different antibiotic.

Thanks so much for your replies. I have done some hunting on the internet and found a rabbit savvy vet so am taking Dill tomorrow. Hopefully that will give me some answers :)

Quick update now have metacam for inflammation on his feet, hibiscrub to clean them and flamazine to cream them with hopefully this will work otherwise he will need skin biopsis :-(

Back