• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I feel I am a terrible rabbit owner :(

DarceyH

Warren Scout
I am relatively new to owning rabits, I have only been a rabit owner for 2 and 1/2 months, but I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing half the time, and it still feels like my bunnies don't like me. Maybe I am expecting too much of them, but I just wished they would show me more affection. Befor I got Robin, Smokey had started to groom me all the time, and had stopped nipping, I was over the moon when it first happened. Now she seems to resent me, and is nipping me again. Robin seemed to like me, but I think I scare him every time I squeal when smokey nips me, and since I become slightly frustrated and stressed when trying to bond with them, they feel that, and get more freaked out! I just can't seem to break this cycle, I just have to be calm, but I want more than anything for them to groom me! I even think they don't like me grooming them, but I can't tell for sure, as I still don't understand bunny language properly.
I have asked so many questions, and have done so much resurch, and I know what I should understand, but it is still all fuzzy! (I don't even think I am making any sense!)

Am I just being impatient, or do you think I am actually making my rabits miserable? I just want them to feel succure and happy :(

You're doing fine, remember it's all very new to you and I bet most people on here (myself included) would wish they had done so well with their first rabbits.
I don't have any advice as you already know what you have to do, animals and young children always seem to know when you're stressed and act up accordingly so you just need to stay calm. Easier said than done we all have times when keeping calm seems to be the hardest thing in the world. Maybe try ignoring them whilst being in their company, watch tv or read a book on the floor and put a circle of treats like herbs and let them eat whilst not acknowledging them, they will soon learn that you're not scary and you will be best of friends in no time xx

You're doing fine, remember it's all very new to you and I bet most people on here (myself included) would wish they had done so well with their first rabbits.
I don't have any advice as you already know what you have to do, animals and young children always seem to know when you're stressed and act up accordingly so you just need to stay calm. Easier said than done we all have times when keeping calm seems to be the hardest thing in the world. Maybe try ignoring them whilst being in their company, watch tv or read a book on the floor and put a circle of treats like herbs and let them eat whilst not acknowledging them, they will soon learn that you're not scary and you will be best of friends in no time xx

Thanks! I guess I needed to hear that! They aren't scared of me, they were using me as a climbing frame today while I was lying on the floor, and will eat treats and pellets out of my hand (and off my back as I discovered today!) I just don't think they like me :(

Thanks! I guess I needed to hear that! They aren't scared of me, they were using me as a climbing frame today while I was lying on the floor, and will eat treats and pellets out of my hand (and off my back as I discovered today!) I just don't think they like me :(

If they interact with you like that it's great and they definitely like you xx

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/ - Best website ever! :lol: Read it and try some of the tips.

Tbh, my buns never, ever groom me. Fiver will groom things around me but Xena has never ever done that, she doesn't even groom Fiver. It doesn't bother me. I know they love me, Fiver jumps into bed with me for cuddles and Xena is always demanding nose rubs. All bunnies are different, some will groom you and some won't, it doesn't mean they don't love you. Xena has happy flopped against me before, so I definitely know she likes me! :lol:
Rabbits aren't like cats or dogs (as I'm sure you know!) and they show their affection in different ways. Grinding their teeth or "chattering" when you stroke them is a sign that they are enjoying it, but it is easily missed by us humans.

You've only had them 2 months! Don't worry so much! :lol: Xena took nearly a year to stop going for me and my bridge bun Ellie took a year to trust me. I have taken in a stray bunny that started licking me after a few days! It depends on the bunny and also where they have come from and past experiences. :)

I really wouldn't worry, every bun is different. You have had your buns about the same time as me, I got Levi and daisy in June. I had read that bunnies lick/groom you when they love you and I waited and waited for them to do it to me. Nothing. And then literally last week while I sat with Levi on my lap giving me cuddles while we watched tv, he started licking my trousers, this has now turned into full on face licking every night. It's too cute! But daisy just won't lick me, though she is a big 'nose bumper' and both sit and do little teeth grinding 'purrs' so I know she loves me even though she doesn't lick. Just spend lots of time with them and honestly they will love you for it. No matter how they show it :)

I always thought Doughnut didn't like nose rubs now I've discovered she does but I was probably doing it incorrectly. I've also discovered she absolutely loves me to kiss her nose up and down to the top of her head. She looks up to give me kisses, I get a few and then she puts her head down for her to get kisses. She then makes a soft chattering sound which means she enjoys it.

You discover new things every day and like others have said every rabbit is different. Just try different things to see what they like. If they take pellets from your hand that is a good start. Try a few nose rubs and see if they like it or little kisses on their forehead.

just wondering why you are so desperate for them to groom you?:D

Mostly because Smokey used to, she started randomly about a month after I got her, then she got spayed, and stopped for a few days, and started again for a little bit, then she met husbun Robin and stopped again, then a few days ago she groomed me, now she has stopped again, and I'm never sure if she is scared or happy when I give her head rubs. She does the teeth chatter thing, they both do, but I'm not sure if its the 'purring' or the go away one. They both quite often smoosh their heads to the floor while I give them head rubs, and I'm not sure if that is good or bad. They seem ok, and when I stop petting them, they lift their heads up and nudge me, but that may also be go away...

I guess I am not very good at speaking bunny yet!

Thank you so much for all the replies!

Mostly because Smokey used to, she started randomly about a month after I got her, then she got spayed, and stopped for a few days, and started again for a little bit, then she met husbun Robin and stopped again, then a few days ago she groomed me, now she has stopped again, and I'm never sure if she is scared or happy when I give her head rubs. She does the teeth chatter thing, they both do, but I'm not sure if its the 'purring' or the go away one. They both quite often smoosh their heads to the floor while I give them head rubs, and I'm not sure if that is good or bad. They seem ok, and when I stop petting them, they lift their heads up and nudge me, but that may also be go away...

Rabbits don't chatter their teeth like that to say "go away". If they didn't like it, you'd know about it. :lol: They will just hop off, or nip you, box you or grunt at you. If they are letting you give them nose rubs, they are enjoying it. :)

sounds like your bunnies love you very much to me :D..they are showing lots of affection heads to the floor means they are totally relaxed and happy in your company one of mine does exactly the same thing he is so soppy ....

i think you can very assured that you are doing the right things so relax and enjoy ...:thumb:

Chittering of the teeth can either mean that they're in pain/scared or that they're happy, chances are if you're petting them and they haven't tried to get away then it's the latter! When they put their heads down they're asking to be groomed, you might see one (or both) of the rabbits do it in your bonded pair :wave:

You might like to check out this site, as I think it will really help you understand what your rabbit is trying to say: http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

Back