• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FLEAS on the newborn kits!!! Anyone have any advice??

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
For those who already know - I rescued a bun who was covered in fleas and stick fleas - I noticed that some of her babies, born today, now have them running about their little bodies - what can I do????

All you can do really is comb them off. I don't think you can use any chemicals on kits that small. Maybe a plastic flea comb rather than a metal one and some warm water. The only issue is touching the babies. And I'm not sure if you can treat mum if she's nursing. You'd have to ask a vet on that one. :?

I guess if you can distract her with food and she how she is about you picking up the babies, but then again if she has them, they'll only go back onto the babies. can you ring a vet for advice tomorrow morning?

Mum had flea treatment on Thursday when i rescued her - not knowing she was pregnant - so Mum will be okay - will the treatment pass through to the kits I wonder?

I am afraid I don't have any advice, but I have been following their story, its really rather exiting. I hope they are all ok!

Poor things :( I don't really know what to suggest. How old are they? If they're two weeks old or over I'd say have a go with a flea comb but make sure you keep them warm. You'll have to ring a vet and see if there are any treatments suitable for young kits

ETA: If the mum still has fleas don't hesitate to take her out of the hutch and have a good combing session, they tend to only go near the babies once a day anyway. Although if the babies and mum have it the whole hutch is likely to be infested but again I don't know if it'd be okay to use small animal flea powder with small babies

Last edited:
Sounds like you are in the very same situation as me. I have just had a surprise litter from a stray, she also has fleas and I found them crawling on the babes. The vet has advised me to spray around the edge of the bedding and nest area with the special flea spray (I had to take the babies out for 30mins, which I was worried about), vet said it was more important to try and act on the fleas due to myx and to fed mum to occupy her whilst I had them out. I can't treat mum for a few more weeks yet, so at least you got your treated beforehand.

I will keep up to date with any advice you are given. Good luck with the litter, I too had 7 and they are 5 days old.

If you already got mum then hopefully the fleas will hop on her when she goes in to feed the babies and that will kill them off.

I don't think there is anything you can apply to them. I suppose the people to ask would be wildlife refuges as they must get a lot of babies hedgehogs etc. with them so might know what's safe.

Thank you all - mum is well this evening and still scoffing good food! Hopefully she will attend to her kits later on - I will have a little check on them again tomorrow ;)

I had the same problem with grayson, I treated every other animal in the house, and sprayed the house and they went from him :)

Sounds like you are in the very same situation as me. I have just had a surprise litter from a stray, she also has fleas and I found them crawling on the babes. The vet has advised me to spray around the edge of the bedding and nest area with the special flea spray (I had to take the babies out for 30mins, which I was worried about), vet said it was more important to try and act on the fleas due to myx and to fed mum to occupy her whilst I had them out. I can't treat mum for a few more weeks yet, so at least you got your treated beforehand.

I will keep up to date with any advice you are given. Good luck with the litter, I too had 7 and they are 5 days old.

Ahh bless you - same situation though mine are only a day old today - we'll have to support each other and listen to others on here - good luck to you and your little ones too x

Back