• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

looks like the vets soon for the piggies*been vets*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
both fine in themselves, but just discovered maisie has a crusty nipple and eddie a third nipple, or some kind of lump anyway. :(

maisie was diagnosed with ovarian cysts in january and so far has had no issues but she has dropped some more weight and now the nipple is crusty.

quite worried about them both now, even thought they both seem happy.

Last edited:
we have been to the vets and they are both fine.

maisie's cysts haven't grown so that's good. the vet can feel them and they're still very small. she does have crusty nipples though, both sides. we have to put vaseline on them twice a day for 4-5 days just to soften the crust and so they don't become cracked and sore. she has gone down in weight but eddie has gained what maisie has lost so it's seeming likely that it is the pellets, because eddie eats most of them! anyway, maisie is still a healthy weight and she had a full check over and seems fine. she does have slightly slanted teeth, which she has always had, so that's something to keep an eye on, just incase. she is being monitored for now, weighed more regularly and then if she does continue to drop more weight or has other cyst symptoms then next time she will be started on hormone injections most probably. she may have an ultrasound but the vet thinks it may not be necessary as he can feel her cysts very well so wouldn't gain much from xrays and/or ultrasound.

eddie has gained weight and is looking a bit chunky for his frame now! so less pellets for him! the 'lump' he has is just a little bit of extra skin and is where his belly button would be! the vet said if he was checking eddie over and i hadn't mentioned that area, that he would look over it and assume it had always been there because it doesn't seem to have anything growing underneath it and it isn't attached to anything. it's just basically like a little belly button! he also had a thorough check over and is fine.

the vet doesn't think they have mites but said if i really want to then i can treat them anyway just to cover that base and it won't do any harm. i haven't decided yet if i will or not because they don't seem particularly itchy or anything.

anyway, so good news for now. both seem healthy and happy. :)

Glad to hear that they are both doing OK :)

thank you, me too. they have more space now aswell so that might have contributed to maisie losing some weight aswell. i'll monitor even more closely though but hopefully they will be ok. neither seem ill. if anything they are really happy and being silly! :love::love::love:

Good news. :)

I'll be really interested to hear how you get on with the crusty nipples (OK that sounds really wrong! :oops: :lol: ), because years ago I had a very hormonal sow (who died young :() with crusty nipples. At the time I had a really useless vet.

I've not seen it in a piggy since, so I'll be interested to hear what happens.

Good news. :)

I'll be really interested to hear how you get on with the crusty nipples (OK that sounds really wrong! :oops: :lol: ), because years ago I had a very hormonal sow (who died young :() with crusty nipples. At the time I had a really useless vet.

I've not seen it in a piggy since, so I'll be interested to hear what happens.

we keep saying things that sound very wrong aswell! i bet maisie is like :shock::shock::shock: :lol:

sorry to hear about your little sow. :(

i've done the vaseline twice today and alot of the crust has already softened and come away so that's good. x

That's great news glad they are doing well

thank you x

Back