• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescued wildie bun HAS HAD BABIES this morning!!

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
The little wild REW bunny that I rescued from a farm on Thursday has given birth in the early hours of this morning!! In the night she built a beautiful nest and lined it with white fur and there are little 'pipping' noises coming from it this morning!! Mummy bun looks well and is still eating me out of house and home!! This will be my first time experiencing newborn buns as all my rescues are neutered - is there anything I should be doing in particular or her and her tiddlers??? Any advice will be welcomed as I want to do my very best for her :D I haven't touched the nest so don't know how many are in there - :love:

No advice but wishing mum and babies well :) good luck with them! She is so lucky you took her away to a safe place to have her babies x

Depending what pellets you feed and how much, you may want to increase the amount and gradually add in some junior pellets. Don't clean the nest at all and make sure the kits are feeding okay. Close off any ramps. Provide lots and lots of hay for nest repairs and eating.

That's about it really, mummy bun will do the rest.

Oh!!! Should I be looking in the nest then??? As she came from a farm and is 'wild' as such because she was left to run about and has had another littler underneath some decking in a burrow, she wouldn't have had pellets - i have been giving her SS as well as hay and herbs etc - is this okay??

Oh!!! Should I be looking in the nest then??? As she came from a farm and is 'wild' as such because she was left to run about and has had another littler underneath some decking in a burrow, she wouldn't have had pellets - i have been giving her SS as well as hay and herbs etc - is this okay??

Yes you can look in the nest to see if any are dead. Rub your hands in the rabbit's bedding and poo first so you don't get your scent on the babies - some people say you don't need to do this but it doesn't hurt being careful.

I'd tread carefully with the pellets in case of tummy upset as she isn't used to them but I'd increase them slowly. Play it by ear but as long as her tummy is coping she can have unlimited pellets as long as she is eating her hay too. Up to you whether to feed junior or adult, junior has more protein so if she has had a litter recently I'd go with that if her tummy is okay with it - back to back litters are a real strain on their bodies. If you go with junior, I would keep the amount of adult pellets you are feeding the same and then slowly add junior ones to it, then once you get her up to a good amount of pellets you can start to change over the adult ones to junior - doing it this way enables you to increase her pellets quicker than waiting till you've changed the food to do it.

I was told not to touch the babies unless absolutely necessary and that was by someone who runs a very respected rabbit and guinea pig rescue. I was also told that if in an emergency you needed to handle the babies, especially when they are so young and fur-less to pick them up with kitchen roll or toilet paper that had previously been rubbed on the hay. Apparently their skin is so sensitive that it can react to our hands :shock:

The bun we rescued (Angel) had 7 babies too. Fortunately she was a very good bunny mother, they all survived and now all live together very happily as we were able to put them all back together after spaying / neutering :love:

Don't worry if you very rarely see mammy bunny in the nest feeding them - one to three times a day is the norm!

Mixed messages - but it makes sense both ways - surely if there are deceased babies, they would need to be removed? Likewise they should be left well alone! I have done my checking and am happy to leave them now - Off out to get some extra supplies now x keep the advice coming x

I have been following her story, I don't have any advice I'm afraid, just wanted to say I hope they are all ok and you are doing a wonderful job :love:

How lovely.. Well done!!!

You could name them after the seven dwarfs!! We would like pics too.....

All the best
Fee xxx

Back