• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP - Need Advice

shazbud

Young Bun
Hi I posted on here nearly two weeks ago when we had Pip spayed and her partner Milo became a bit aggressive towards her. As advised by members on here we separated them and Milo seems more chilled and less stressed and Pip was able to recover. She has been doing well, and we have seen an improvement every day with regards to eating, although not back to her self 100%. She has seen the vet 3-4 times over the past two weeks for check ups and he is happy with her wound and that she is eating, pooing and drinking. However I am not sure if she is unwell or if she is depressed. My first feeling is depressed. I think she is so sad without Milo and she just doesn't seem happy or lively at all. She spends most of her time in her hutch sleeping and occasionally comes down and out into her run. Today she seems even lower than before and I just don't know if I am over reading it and worrying unnecessarily? She is not really interested in her food today although will always eat green herbs and leaves which she has done, she has had a drink and I have seen her poo and wee but she just sits looking really sad, sometimes head down flat on her front sometimes just sitting hunched. She came down and out this morning first thing when I went in with pellets but she is not really interested in them today, she has had a bit of hay but not much. Milo is jumping and skipping around in his run next to hers and she is just down right miserable - what should I do and is she ill or sad???

:wave:
She has been through quite a bit recently, not only having her spay, but then being separated from Milo (which was the right thing to do) and then been taken to the vets 3-4 times is all quite stressful for a bunny.
I would try not to worry if she is eating and pooping, and maybe just let her settle for the 2-3 weeks, then start the bonding. Is she near Milo? Or are they completely separate? x

:wave:
She has been through quite a bit recently, not only having her spay, but then being separated from Milo (which was the right thing to do) and then been taken to the vets 3-4 times is all quite stressful for a bunny.
I would try not to worry if she is eating and pooping, and maybe just let her settle for the 2-3 weeks, then start the bonding. Is she near Milo? Or are they completely separate? x

Hi, thanks for replying. We have made a temporary home for Milo and he comes into the kitchen at night but is in a run next to her during the day. He seems quite interested in her but she ignores him or stays away - she seems quite frightened of him but I think she is just that kind of bunny anyway, very timid. She has been back to vets three time but doesn't need to go again. Once just after the spay because she wasn't eating or drinking well and they needed to give her an injection, then for the weekly check but at that the wound had not healed properly, there was no infection but because of this she had to return one more time for a final check on Thursday. It is now healing well and starting to scab. I am happy to keep them separated for now I just don't want to make the rebonding more difficult?? Also as Milo is only in a temporary home - we have no second hutch, just a run which we adapt for him - I dont think it's quite fair on him so would love to try to get them back together asap - but obviously don't want to rush it.

Back