• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Play sand or soil for digging box?

marchi1990

Mama Doe
My youngest boy has taken to absolutely destroying its run - if he continues at this rate it will be ruined in a week.

So I need to keep him entertained and am going to get him a digging box. Recommendations for this?

Last edited:
I use a large storage box with damp play sand, then if its windy out it doesn't blow into their eyes :thumb:

i have a digging box but have damp soil in there. they love it and it can be cool for them to lay in when the weather is hot!

maybe if you can get hold of some fruit tree or willow branches for him to chew. one of my 3 gets bored very easily, I have a selection of toys and things to do in the run which I rotate every few weeks to keep them happy and stimulated.

tunnels, boxes of newspaper, pop up tents, dig boxes etc...

I use a large storage box with damp play sand, then if its windy out it doesn't blow into their eyes :thumb:

Great idea.

i have a digging box but have damp soil in there. they love it and it can be cool for them to lay in when the weather is hot!

maybe if you can get hold of some fruit tree or willow branches for him to chew. one of my 3 gets bored very easily, I have a selection of toys and things to do in the run which I rotate every few weeks to keep them happy and stimulated.

tunnels, boxes of newspaper, pop up tents, dig boxes etc...

I have a pear tree - is that ok? I want to create some toys so I've got a big box and I will try to make something out of it! Newspaper in a box also good idea.

Pear is fine.

I have damp soil in my digging boxes the buns love lying in it in the hot weather.

An old yellow pages or similar is good for a destruct-o-bun. Give it to them whole and let the destruction commence.

I used to give my girls the yellow pages, but cleaning up the aftermath was a nightmare! Whole pages stuffed behind litter trays and in hay racks, as well as thousands of little bits everywhere.

I do however, fill part of their run (it's blocked off with breeze-blocks as I couldn't find a box that was the right size) with shredded paper and they love to dig and rip it, I use a snuggle-safe tunnel leading in to it, so although they can jump in, they can dig through to the other side too, which the seem to enjoy:thumb:. The best bit is, it also soaks up any puddles but without turning to a pulp like bedding would, so the floor stays fairly dry too. Not to mention the fact that there's no way anyone's going to read my bank statements with bunny poop all over them :lol::lol:

Pear is fine.

I have damp soil in my digging boxes the buns love lying in it in the hot weather.

An old yellow pages or similar is good for a destruct-o-bun. Give it to them whole and let the destruction commence.

Great idea about the yellow pages!!

I used to give my girls the yellow pages, but cleaning up the aftermath was a nightmare! Whole pages stuffed behind litter trays and in hay racks, as well as thousands of little bits everywhere.

I do however, fill part of their run (it's blocked off with breeze-blocks as I couldn't find a box that was the right size) with shredded paper and they love to dig and rip it, I use a snuggle-safe tunnel leading in to it, so although they can jump in, they can dig through to the other side too, which the seem to enjoy:thumb:. The best bit is, it also soaks up any puddles but without turning to a pulp like bedding would, so the floor stays fairly dry too. Not to mention the fact that there's no way anyone's going to read my bank statements with bunny poop all over them :lol::lol:

Yeah he loves to rip and nibble things so that might be a good idea! Perfect recycling idea :lol:

My girls have 2 diggy boxes, both filled with damp soil and they love them! The soil goes everywhere though, ha ha :lol:

I must remember about the yellow pages thing too :thumb:

Back