• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice re winter housing

Mattie_G

Mama Doe
Hi

At the moment, D'Argo and Falon are in the shed overnight and out all day. Looking towards winter, I need to try to keep them in a pen as we are hoping to move next year so need to revamp garden.

They did have a pen but D could jump out (it is only 4ft 5 high (main walls 7/8ft).

So I gave up penning them and they have been trashing the garden.

So plan is to have then pen join up to the shed which I think I can do. However, how do I stop them digging out? Should I dig up the grass then put chicken wire down then lay turf? How should I cover the top? Would chicken wire do?

Tips please - I am hopeless with this sort of thing!

Also they have no bed as such in the shed. Should I put the old hutch 7ft is indide for snuggling in the winter? Or a kennel? The floor is concrete but has some laminate on it.

Thanks!

Can you attach a good quality run to the shed with a cat flap for them to get in and out? That's what we have. Our run is wood and mesh on paving slabs so they can't dig out and foxes can't dig in or break in. I wouldn't leave them in something that wasn't fox proof.
Lots of people have hutches in their sheds as bed boxes or you can get small kennel type boxes that go in. They'll need somewhere to snuggle for warmth in the winter.
You can take up the grass and put mesh down (chicken wire isn't fox proof) and then lay turf over the top to keep your buns in and foxes out.
Have a look trhough the sticky in housing for ideas.

Yep mesh under turf is the way forward, and not as much hassle as you'd think. We've tent pegged around the edges of the mesh too.

Runaround is amazing, but pricey.

Ooh the runaround looks good ... would two 6kg rabbits fit though? They are pretty big buns!

I will move hutch into shed ... The shed is concrete but maybe could attach to door though might be a pain to get into shed then.

I think the standard pipe fits up to 5kg rabbits but I would get in contact with the company and see what they recommend, I've read their website and they seem open to customisation :) I'm sure they will have dealt with people who have bigger buns before.

Back