• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outside Time For Indoor Bunnies?

Schez

Mama Doe
Hi guys... I feel soooooooo stupid for posting this but I wanted to get some idea from people who have indoor buns...

Reggie is my indoor, giant rabbit... He's got free run of kitchen and (daily) periods of free ranging of the house... You should see the binkies.. :shock: :love: My issue is outside time. How do you guys work outside time into your indoor buns routines? I currently let Reggie out only when I am around to supervise so he can have the entire run of the garden. He loves basking in the sun and will sit by the door expectantly to go out.. its hard to explain to him that its raining out there at the mo... :lol:

Last edited:
Bramble our housebun sometimes comes outside when I am cleaning out the outdoor buns. I pen off an area for him on the patio, so he can see the others and they can have a chat to each other through the wire! Sometimes I carry him outside for a brush in the sunshine too.

Awww, thanks for replying clarebear.. :wave: It prob sounded like a daft question but I just wanted to compare/make sure that I'm doing the best I can for Reggie. :)

Is your garden secure? Fudge used to potter outside every morning before work - she'd come downstairs with me then wait at the kitchen door to go out and I'd sit outside and have my breakfast with her. Or in the doorway if it was raining - she didn't care!

Since we got outdoor buns and they've marked it as their territory Fudge hasn't wanted to go out - our next house needs two separate garden areas!

We have an area sectioned off so our house buns can go outside, we just leave the door open so they can pop out when then like.

They have the decking and a patch of grass. Though they do get miffed when it rains.

Guys how on earth do you catch your buns if you let them have free range? I couldn't do that with mine who are outside buns anyway because they would be able to get under the fence to next door or through the hedge to the road at the top but Levi has escaped a few times and its been a nightmare to catch him! I don't think I'd let him out there even if it was secure because I'd never get him back!

I'm lucky in that there is usually someone at home for the whole of the day so we open the back door for Louie and he comes and goes as he wishes.

Ailstar, some Bunnies just don't like being caught when they have been freeranging! They can, however, often be bribed by the rattling of the pellet container!

That's pretty much what I resorted too! He thinks with his stomach, and I had to develop lightening quick reactions! Haha! It would be lovely if they could free-range but i put harnesses on them and let them take me for a walk instead :)

I've found they quickly get used to be herded back home. Sometimes they might choose to give me a bit of a runaround first, but not often.

That's pretty much what I resorted too! He thinks with his stomach, and I had to develop lightening quick reactions! Haha! It would be lovely if they could free-range but i put harnesses on them and let them take me for a walk instead :)

Bribery is a lovely thing! ;)

If your garden is not totally secure, have you a puppy pen or similar that can be totally opened out to block off the insecure parts?

My main sitting room is upstairs for the view and has a big balcony and bun lives upstairs with run of sitting room kitchen and one big bedroom, he also has access during daytime to the balcony which we had to bunny proof at great expense:roll:. He refuses point blank to go down stairs so cannot go outside into the garden but he is very happy with his high rise balcony and loves sitting looking out and watching the world.

Back