• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with cutting nails

marchi1990

Mama Doe
I've never needed to cut any of their nails because they all live on concrete so work down pretty well.

But Cookie - my latest adopted addition -needs hers cut.

What clippers do you use? On youtube numerous owners seem to just use conventional nail clippers that we use?

You're not meant to use human clippers as eyre the wrong shape and crush the nail, I just use cat nail clippers or you can use the dog ones I think as some people say they're better but ifind them too big!

I use cat claw clippers. I wouldn't use nail clippers for humans - they would probably work but they aren't the right shape and I imagine they would squash the nail before cutting it off.

My method was to either try and clip them with bunny sitting normally so as not to stress them out. Varying degrees of success :lol:, they aren't daft and just pull their feet underneath their bodies :lol:. The other method is to wrap bunny firmly in a tea towel with the relevant bits exposed, quickly clip and release disgruntled bunny who will then display their displeasure at having experienced such an indignity :lol:.

You're not meant to use human clippers as eyre the wrong shape and crush the nail, I just use cat nail clippers or you can use the dog ones I think as some people say they're better but ifind them too big!

I use cat claw clippers. I wouldn't use nail clippers for humans - they would probably work but they aren't the right shape and I imagine they would squash the nail before cutting it off.

My method was to either try and clip them with bunny sitting normally so as not to stress them out. Varying degrees of success :lol:, they aren't daft and just pull their feet underneath their bodies :lol:. The other method is to wrap bunny firmly in a tea towel with the relevant bits exposed, quickly clip and release disgruntled bunny who will then display their displeasure at having experienced such an indignity :lol:.

I have dog clippers so will use them and not human ones and think I will go for the towel approach!!

Good luck. I have never dared to do my lot. Luckily I know someone who is happy to come and do them all and the whistler pigs - PHEW.

Back