• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP HELP pregnant REW wildie at my house!!!

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
On Thursday I 'rescued' a REW wildie from a local petting farm - she was CAKED in fleas and stick fleas all around her eyelids, ears and mouth - she had been left in a small hutch to one side - she was stained yellow and has a bad leg that she kept lifting. I told the owners that I was taking her to the vets (another story, I've lost it with them now!!) as she needed urgent attention. now back at mine in a massive indoor cage convalescing - I'm almost sure she must be expecting - she always lies down yet is ravenous for food when I put food in and jumps up - her tummy is large and I am sure I can see things 'moving' about inside. This morning she has cocooned herself in a corner almost covered in hay - WHAT can I do to help her??? I have my own beautiful family of rescue rabbits, all neutered and well away from her outside - but have never experienced a pregnancy -I want to do my best for her - my main concern is providing some sort of shelter/hidey house in the cage - PLEASE HELP me to help this sweetie :cry::cry:

I don't know anything about pregnancies either, sorry, but surely the vet would have mentioned if they thought she was pregnant? Hope everything goes ok x

When i took in that pregnant one, i just tried to make it as private as possible, covers over the cage etc. Then i gave plenty of hay for nest building. She had the base of a cage that was too small as a litter tray but it was deep and she made her nest in that. I hope she is ok. I don't really have much experience sorry.

I have put covers over 2/3 of the cage to make it private and cozy - I need to clean the cage out today really but am scared to move anything

Can you just spot clean?

I think the whole lot needs changing really especially as she has such a massive flea problem! Shall I just be really careful and go for it? I am sure if there are babies they will need clean surroundings (obviously) I have spare litter trays - she just seems to keep choosing different corners :roll:

Could you try coaxing her into a carrier then doing the quickest blitz clean then letting her back in?

Hope it all works out ok

Where did she come from Sue? No advice sorry but hope you get her sorted

Local farm - near Cheshire Oaks - been 'keeping an eye on them' for a while now and every time I despair of something that I see - I have offered and given help and advice for about a year now - taken extra bunny bottles for them - checked bunnies over - rehomed a few from them and my friend took a very poorly bunny from them and paid for all her treatment before she sadly died - this was the last straw - they know I have her and the RSPCA are getting involved as well as a few welfare friends of mine one of whom went yesterday to 'have words' about a tortoise swarming with flies in a tiny glass tank. They still have 4 giant rabbits there, puffing and panting in the sun with no shade :cry::cry: - I actually got BARRED on Thursday after telling them about the tortoise - I've tried the nice and helpful and offering advice bit but now she has taken offence at my comments and barred me :shock::shock: at least I have this bunny who I can take care of - i am sure she would have died within the next few days as they haven't a clue :cry::cry:

Thank goodness she is safe with you. :thumb:

I would clean now and then provide loads of hay as you have already done again, partially cover the cage over and leave her to it. When the does we rescued gave birth they clearly waited until they felt safe and things were 'normal' and quiet. The one doe Crystal had one baby who was still born. (Crystal herself later died from lesions in the lungs bleeding) while Angel the other doe had 7 babies who all survived and are beautiful, funny, loving buns - all 8 live together following their vaccinations, spays and neuters and it's fantastic to see how they all interact. :love:

Good luck to bun and you. :wave:

Is it chicken corner? I have reported them a few times. Martin who owns it isn't exactly Mr caring when it comes to animals

trading standards are the people to speak to.

It used to be just a horse tack place in a static caravan

Is it chicken corner? I have reported them a few times. Martin who owns it isn't exactly Mr caring when it comes to animals

trading standards are the people to speak to.

It used to be just a horse tack place in a static caravan

Yes it is them! And you're right about Martin - his view on poorly rabbits is 'just knock it on the 'ead!' I'm on a mission anyway now - after trying to help and now being barred - it's time to fight back on behalf of the little ones there (and bigger ones)

WELL DONE FOR RESCUING HER. Hope all goes well for her birthing. Nothing to add to the advice already given. Poor love.

Will she come out if you open the door? If she comes out happily to hop around and there is nothing in the bed then you can clean. She might just want some sort of hidey spot.

She's very jumpy probably as she's been a wildie all her life but I will take on board everyone's help and advice and keep you all posted as to if and when I become a grandma!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back