• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alfalfa vs. Timothy hay

moonturtle

Warren Scout
Hi. Another question about Bojangles's health. I think she has a bit of diarrhea again. It is not as sticky or smelly as the last time, but she has been producing log shaped poos. I called her vet and they said to watch her and only give her pellets, hay, and carrots tonight. My question is: could it be her hay that is doing this to her? I feed her alfalfa hay because it is pretty much the only thing the stores here sell. I was doing some research online and was reading that alfalfa hay is not good for rabbits and that I should feed her timothy hay. Is this true? Should I run to her vet tonight anyhow to buy some timothy hay and throw out her alfalfa? Please answer. Thanks.

From everything I've read about rabbits (I'm a new rabbit owner but have done a lot of research) alfalfa hay is a big no no except for young buns due to the high calcium content. I don't even feed it to my buns though who are only 16 weeks old. They get a mix between Timothy (which is lovely, long strands and lots of seed heads), meadow and ryegrass. I would recommend stopping feeding the alfalfa if you have any way of getting your hands on some Timothy.

Hey,

Timothy is in my opinion the best hay for rabbits as its very stalky which is best for teeth and low in calcium. Tests have shown that it is the best for overall health of the rabbit, including tummy and teeth.
It can be fed ad lib and my bunnies cannot get enough of it!
Alfalfa hay is good for baby and nursing bunnies. I always keep a bag in the house for my dental buns and as an occasional treat.

Too much Alfalfa hay can cause upset tummy's due to the high level of calcium, too much calcium in rabbits will also cause their wee to be very thick and smelly. as well as making them fat.

Hope this helps.

Back