• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shocking

news today. From a reliable source, 2 rabbits were abandoned at a well known theme park and this is 'not unusual'. The "parents" evidently dump the bunnies in the bushes near the car park and "exchange" them hypothetically for a day at the theme park with their children, who sell out on this basis and enjoy a day out before going home without their pets. Thankfully, although my children would no doubt swap each other for a day ticket, they would not hear of this nonsense and were as shocked and saddened as I was at hearing the tale.

I know that those involved in rescue are far more aware of what goes on out there and this will (sadly) not be the worst story, but the nature of the "exchange" of the unwanted pet for a theme park ticket makes this situation even more sickening. The next generation are learning that responsibility can be shrugged off and exchanged for a thrill, at a high financial cost as well as the cost to the animal. The going rate for a day at these places is the cost of a neuter and vaccination/improved accommodation/several weeks food, too, which adds an extra sting in the tail.

Will be eyeing all people with suspicion on my next visit AND checking the bushes before I leave.

I hate to say it, but the wickedness of people very rarely surprises me these days.:cry::cry:

I'm more surprised when I hear about wonderful random acts of kindness to the little furry ones.

Just checked rescue's website (where the 2 buns came from) to see if it was specifically named and it wasn't, so I will just check I am allowed to say before posting, if okay. Big one, though.

The children agree to having their rabbits dumped in exchange for a day at a theme park? Am I understanding that right?

So it's rabbits bought for children, then the children lose interest, the parents never really wanted them anyway, so they're just dumped. AND the kids get a day at a theme park out of it?

I'm appalled - don't know what other word to use, it is shocking!

If they were really that badly unwanted surely it's not that much more difficult to take to a rescue centre? It shocks me that some people truly have no compassion for animals these days

It makes me feel ill .

On the other side with prev moments about random kindness not quite random but kindness .. Husband who I not an animal person ...and he really was not . Built my playhouse and run for bunnies over several weekends .....

....... And I keep catching him talking to them and feeding them a bit of grass when he thinks no one is watching .. X

It makes me feel ill .

On the other side with prev moments about random kindness not quite random but kindness .. Husband who I not an animal person ...and he really was not . Built my playhouse and run for bunnies over several weekends .....

....... And I keep catching him talking to them and feeding them a bit of grass when he thinks no one is watching .. X

ahh that's nice :)

dont understand this.....

how an adult and a parent can do this look at their wee faces and are able to leave them somewhere they could get killed....... :(

It is appalling. I am pleased to say that a fabulous rescue centre is involved and the park are co-operating to tackle the issue at the moment. I am trying to encourage "spot checks" of peoples cars to act as some deterrent (am happy to don a high vis jacket and do it myself, but don't want to get arrested ;)) If a larger campaign needs to be started, I will update all on here but thanks all for concern.

Also pleased to report that the 2 bunnies in question have a fabulous home now (and are coming to me for their holiday this week). They will be spoiled rotten.

It makes me feel ill .

Caught hubby crouched and in communicado with ours this week. Claimed "lawn inspection" when he heard me on the patio. He has never inspected the lawn in the 8 years we have lived here. And had dandelion leaves in his hand. It doesn't take CSI to work out what was going on but I accepted his first answer, and wondered off smiling to myself. He has the bug :love::love:

Back