• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing a new rabbit

Mot1984

New Kit
I have an 18 month old lop ear doe. I have been thinking about introducing another doe into her life. However I only have the one cage. Firstly do you think it would be suitable to introduce a new lop doe into the same cage as the current one. Secondly would you recommend getting a rabbit the same age or would a younger rabbit be ok?

Many thanks

Hi there, welcome to rabbits united!
You have to be very careful introducing a new bun to your bun, you can't just put them together, they will fight, they can be territorial little things! Especially the females! Do some googling on bonding rabbits, there is lots of info out there on how to get two rabbits to be friends, it can be tricky at times, I'm trying to bond two buns at the moment, but it is well worth it.
As to your existing cage, it depends what size it is. Most pairs will need a 6 foot long large cage, or a large two tier one, but if its big enough there is no reason why they can't share it once properly bonded.
As to age, your bun is a wipper snapper really so another young bun would be fine.
Have you considered adopting a bun from a rescue? RSPCA etc? They will usually let you take your bun along for bunny dating where your bun can meet the others and see who she gets on with, it is usually a good way to start as if your bun likes the other bun chances are the bonding will go well.
And finally it is so heartwarming to read that you want to get a friend for your bun, you will improve her happiness by 1000%, there is nothing nicer than seeing two bunnies playing, sleeping and cuddling together, you are doing the right thing by getting her a friend of her own kind.
Good luck. And feel free to post any questions on this forum, there is so much knowledge and experience here, I know, I'm making use of it too!

A note of caution. Its really important (to minimise aggression and for their health) that your rabbits are spayed (or neutered for bucks) before being bonded. Very best of luck.

Both rabbits will need to be neutered first :) also if you rescue you will only have to pay the adoption fee of £40 and he/she will already be neutered and vaccinated, and you will only have to neuter your current rabbit :) when you say cage, do you mean one of this indoor ones? I had one of those. They are too small :( so you will need a area 6x2x2 or bigger with a attached area eg. Run (outdoors), puppy pen (indoors) :D have you checked out this site? It will help you find bunnys needing homes in your area.
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/

Back