• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Benji - Post Mortem Results

BigBunnyBenji

Mama Doe
Benji is not well at all. :cry:

He is not his normal happy self, he is just lying around all sad. I took him to the vets and apparently he has a temperature of 41+, but we don't know why. The vet checked him over and said that everything seems ok. He's been given some antibiotics, but since going to the vets at 3pm, he hasn't eaten anything. He normally loves his food and now he won't even touch his biscuits. :cry:

I'm just very worried about him now.

EDIT: I just wanted you all to know that Benji passed away on Saturday, 2 hours after his appointment.
I don't know why or how, I am going to request an autopsy, so that I can get some piece of mind. Everyone I have spoken to has said how well looked after he was and how well loved he was.
April doesn't know yet, I know we have to show her the body today so that she understands, it's going to be really tough. I don't really know how to help a grieving rabbit. And I know I'm going to have to face up to whether to get another rabbit or not, April is so much happier with company.

No bunny could ever be loved more, you were so much more than just a pet to me. RIP Benji, I will always remember you as my happy bunny.

Last edited:
Oh no I'm so sorry Benji's not well :( did the vet give him any painkillers or gut stimulants? Did he check his teeth and ears, and feel his stomach? Try and tempt him with some greens/herbs, whatever his favourites are, keep sticking them under his nose. And if he isn't drinking, try and syringe him some water x

Aww I'm sorry to hear that, do you have any recovery food you can syringe feed him?
Sending positive vibes, hope he feels better soon!

Oh no I'm so sorry Benji's not well :( did the vet give him any painkillers or gut stimulants? Did he check his teeth and ears, and feel his stomach? Try and tempt him with some greens/herbs, whatever his favourites are, keep sticking them under his nose. And if he isn't drinking, try and syringe him some water x

I think it was anti-inflammatory that he gave me. The vet checked his teeth, ears and stomach. I fed him so bramble leaves and he ate them, and he is drinking quite a lot. I'm just so worried I'm going to wake up and find him dead or something, he just seems so unwell. He's never left his food.

Did the Vet give Metacam which would act as an antipyretic ?

Is he up to date with his vaccinations ?

Hope he feels better soon.

I go to Vets for Pets and Benji has Vac for life, so whenever his vaccinations are due they send me a reminder. He only had them about 6 months ago.

He gave me Metacam for Benji to have once a day and also Baytril for in case he got worse over the weekend. If he still isn't eating tomorrow I'm going to give him the Baytril.

I go to Vets for Pets and Benji has Vac for life, so whenever his vaccinations are due they send me a reminder. He only had them about 6 months ago.

He gave me Metacam for Benji to have once a day and also Baytril for in case he got worse over the weekend. If he still isn't eating tomorrow I'm going to give him the Baytril.

He should have a full course of antibiotic, not just a one off dose. So personally I would give him the Baytril even if he does start eating. He clearly has nasty infection going on and it will take more than one shot of Baytril to tackle it.

He has given me more than one dose, it says for the Baytril to be taken twice daily. The vet said that he would rather wait before using it, but that if things got worse, to use it.

He has given me more than one dose, it says for the Baytril to be taken twice daily. The vet said that he would rather wait before using it, but that if things got worse, to use it.

I agree with Jane; the high temperature indicates a real infection which will need antibiotics, I don't see why they would wait, especially with him not eating which can become serious very quickly :? Did they give him any baytril at the vets? Either by injection or by mouth? If not I would definitely give him some tonight. I really hope he starts to feel better soon :( x

When I checked on him this morning his eye was all bulging and a bit pussy and he still wouldn't eat anything so we took him back to the vets.
The vet thinks he has a chest infection which is making him hot and not want to eat. He has been given metacam and two lots of baytril and a gut stimulant to keep his body working regularly. The vet said he should have started to improve by tomorrow evening and he has another appointment on monday morning. He just looks so ill. :(

When I checked on him this morning his eye was all bulging and a bit pussy and he still wouldn't eat anything so we took him back to the vets.
The vet thinks he has a chest infection which is making him hot and not want to eat. He has been given metacam and two lots of baytril and a gut stimulant to keep his body working regularly. The vet said he should have started to improve by tomorrow evening and he has another appointment on monday morning. He just looks so ill. :(

Did the Vet not suggest admitting him ?

It sounds as though he needs intensive care including medication via injection.

The bulging eye is a concern as it could indicate a retrobulbar abscess.

He was injected with some baytril. He checked the eye and said it didn't have an ulcer or anything like that. The vet said if he hadn't improved by monday then he would need to be admitted.

:( sending mega vibes for poor Benji :( maybe you should start a thread in rabbit chat, asking if anyone knows a rabbit savvy vet near you x

Awwww. Bless him.

I assume he is now on the course of Baytrill as well? As others have said, looks like there is a nasty infection there.

I hope he keeps picking at food. It could easily take a few days for him to start feeling better.

Plenty of nose rubs!

Hiya, has Benji eaten anything yet? If he still isn't eating tomorrow, I would take him to the emergency vets, as it's really serious if bunnies don't eat for over 24 hours :( I really hope he will be ok. Is April looking after him? X

I just wanted you all to know that Benji passed away yesterday, 2 hours after his appointment.
I don't know why or how, I am going to request an autopsy, so that I can get some piece of mind. Everyone I have spoken to has said how well looked after he was and how well loved he was.
April doesn't know yet, I know we have to show her the body today so that she understands, it's going to be really tough. I don't really know how to help a grieving rabbit. And I know I'm going to have to face up to whether to get another rabbit or not, April is so much happier with company.

No bunny could ever be loved more, you were so much more than just a pet to me. RIP Benji, I will always remember you as my happy bunny. :love:

Back