• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Setting up our new tank - update 21/09

happysaz133

Wise Old Thumper
We're in the middle of setting up our new tank! :) It's been many years since we had a proper tank, so its been a bit of a learning curve, interesting though! So I've been taking photos throughout the process of setting it up and getting everything ready. This is the tank we chose...
http://fishkeeper.co.uk/site/produc...-60cm-systemised-aquarium-and-cabinet-vxa047a

It's going to be in my family's hotel reception.

So here's some pics so far...

Day 1 - it arrived...

Picture 679 by Niseag, on Flickr

Then we put it where we wanted it.

Picture 682 by Niseag, on Flickr

Picture 685 by Niseag, on Flickr

Next, we started filling it, once all the pipes were plumbed in.
Really close to being filled, it took 3 days!

Nearly full by Niseag, on Flickr

It filled about an inch at a time, as you can see by the bubble lines!

The water being poured in created a crater in the gravel!

The sump tank

The important stuff! by Niseag, on Flickr

Full setup by Niseag, on Flickr

And finally, its full, these were taken today. We are having a saltwater tank, so the salt has now been added, and we are adding Live rock later on. It's looking a bit cloudy but that will clear.

DSC_0685 by Niseag, on Flickr

DSC_0686 by Niseag, on Flickr

Last edited:
Fantastic, can't wait to see it finished. I've never been brave enough to try saltwater fish.:roll:

Is it a marine tank? I'm planning on getting a tank as soon as I have enough money to buy everything I'd need for it. I'll be watching this thread for tips :)

Yes its Marine. Very excited about getting the corals and the fish. It's a long, slow, expensive process but its something we have wanted to do for a long time and it will be so worth it when its done. I hope!!!

And this was it at the beginning of thos week, there's 50kg of live rock in there, 4 corals, 8 snails and 5 hermit crabs.

P1040282 by Niseag, on Flickr

P1040283 by Niseag, on Flickr

P1040284 by Niseag, on Flickr

P1040285 by Niseag, on Flickr

P1040286 by Niseag, on Flickr

P1040287 by Niseag, on Flickr

Spike the hermit

P1040288 by Niseag, on Flickr

P1040292 by Niseag, on Flickr

P1040295 by Niseag, on Flickr

P1040296 by Niseag, on Flickr

P1040298 by Niseag, on Flickr