• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Garage as housing for buns?

Rabcat

Mama Doe
Hi All :wave:

My OH has suggested that we use our garage to house our 7 buns (the car isn't kept it in). the garage is 8 ft wide by around 18 ft long - I'll have to check that though.

In my mind the issues are these:

They live in 3 groups (2 x 2 and a group of 3) so the garage would have to be divided into an area for each group with protection from each other as they fight if they see each other.
I will need to be able to access each area easily - preferably without climbing over as the dividers will need to be around 4 ft high. The OH needs convincing of this though.
I would like them all to have access to an outside run which would mean a cat flap type thing through the brick wall for each area.
The OH still wants to keep the upright freezer and tumble dryer in the garage.

They already have 2 hutches in there that are 5 x 2 and 3 storey high - one with access to a run via a run-a-round tube out of the door for the 3 buns and the other with an area in the width of the garage for 2 buns during the day. The other 2 currently live in my kitchen. They all get free ranging time on a rota basis.

Has anyone else used their garage could I have any ideas that you may have on doing this.

Many thanks!

x

My Pairs are in the garage, I had a custom 7.5ft x 2.5ft 3 tier hutch built so it would fit nicely on the back 8ft wall so essentially we still have the full garage. I move mine to large sheltered runs in the garden during the day because we are renting so can't start knocking holes in the wall.

You could give each pair 8ft x 4ft if you put doors in the dividers (boarded probably better than mesh if you get refered agression) but it may be an idea to raise the door a little off the ground so you have a board to stop the groups intermingling when you open it.

You'd then have 8ft x 6ft left for your fridge freezer.

My Pairs are in the garage, I had a custom 7.5ft x 2.5ft 3 tier hutch built so it would fit nicely on the back 8ft wall so essentially we still have the full garage. I move mine to large sheltered runs in the garden during the day because we are renting so can't start knocking holes in the wall.

You could give each pair 8ft x 4ft if you put doors in the dividers (boarded probably better than mesh if you get refered agression) but it may be an idea to raise the door a little off the ground so you have a board to stop the groups intermingling when you open it.

You'd then have 8ft x 6ft left for your fridge freezer.

Hiya :wave:

You mean have like a step over area in each divider a couple of feet high with the door opening being above - a bit like a stable door with the bottom half being solid instead of on hinges?

:wave: Hiya

I have done a Garage Conversion for our partially blind bunny -

We installed partitioning across the Garage door and side walls and did a suspended ceiling with day lights lol:lol: - spoilt bunny or what - lol - The Garage is north facing and so Cool in the summer and well insulated with the partitioning etc in the winter. We popped vinyl covering on the floors and then added matting.

Re the bunny groups praps an idea might be to partition or you could board fence off an area either half height or floor to ceiling to divide the garage either widthways or in length - my only worry is that bunnies have brilliant sense of smell and if they prone to fighting if they see the other group praps just the smell of being in close proximity may set them off.

I think if you can spare the space Garage Conversion work brilliantly for rabbits, - although our bunny has now also claimed the conservatory lol!:lol:

Hope this helps

You mean have like a step over area in each divider a couple of feet high with the door opening being above - a bit like a stable door with the bottom half being solid instead of on hinges?

Yep :thumb:

Make a bunny group of 7 and then let the riots commence :lol::lol:

Or, put in wooden dividers of around 4.5ft high, and then make doors between the areas which are 1ft off the ground, so there's 1ft of wood for you to step over.

Instead of catflaps could you use run-around? that way you could take one pair that's at the back of the garage and lead them through the tube in one of those wire tunnels, out to the garden, so that they only take up a ft of another pairs space.

:wave: Hiya

I have done a Garage Conversion for our partially blind bunny -

We installed partitioning across the Garage door and side walls and did a suspended ceiling with day lights lol:lol: - spoilt bunny or what - lol - The Garage is north facing and so Cool in the summer and well insulated with the partitioning etc in the winter. We popped vinyl covering on the floors and then added matting.

Re the bunny groups praps an idea might be to partition or you could board fence off an area either half height or floor to ceiling to divide the garage either widthways or in length - my only worry is that bunnies have brilliant sense of smell and if they prone to fighting if they see the other group praps just the smell of being in close proximity may set them off.

I think if you can spare the space Garage Conversion work brilliantly for rabbits, - although our bunny has now also claimed the conservatory lol!:lol:

Hope this helps

Thank you :thumb:

They seem to be worse on seeing each other. They get turns in the same garden and chin everything etc but at the sight of each other have a hissy fit :roll:

I have been thinking about the lighting, as there is a central bulb which isn't very good, and vinyl flooring as it is very difficult to clean the garage floor as it is when they poop and wee. I thought vinyl the flooring would be less cold.

How have you protected the edges of the flooring from chewing - or is your little bun well behaved :D x

Make a bunny group of 7 and then let the riots commence :lol::lol:

Or, put in wooden dividers of around 4.5ft high, and then make doors between the areas which are 1ft off the ground, so there's 1ft of wood for you to step over.

Instead of catflaps could you use run-around? that way you could take one pair that's at the back of the garage and lead them through the tube in one of those wire tunnels, out to the garden, so that they only take up a ft of another pairs space.

My OH keeps telling me to put them all in the bath and let them get on with it!

I see what you mean about the tube and tunnel combination. It would have to be a tunnel per section to keep them all apart that then leads to 3 separate runs...

How could I make that work on the outside do you think?

Ta x

Aviary panels people!

If you don't mind losing your garage... ;)

Hiya

Well its already looking like the garage will definitely belong to the buns :lol: Mind you it will be a bonus for me as I'll keep dry when looking after them :thumb:

It is the access to runs that is puzzling me as I don't really like the idea of them all being in the garage only all day.

Where were you thinking of putting the aviary panels - inside to divide them?

Ta

x

Hiya

Well its already looking like the garage will definitely belong to the buns :lol: Mind you it will be a bonus for me as I'll keep dry when looking after them :thumb:

It is the access to runs that is puzzling me as I don't really like the idea of them all being in the garage only all day.

Where were you thinking of putting the aviary panels - inside to divide them?

Ta

x

Yeah, if you have multiple groups (pairs, trios, quads) you could easily mount a load of aviary panels to make enclosures for them, then perhaps if you own the garage (not rented) you could have runs outside, depending on your plot of land layout with tunnels connecting them?

Brains in overdrive a bit here lol

Aviary panels people!

They'd have to be solid wood aviary panels though as OP's buns show referred aggression.

Manor pet housing sell shorter panels which are all wood and can have doors etc. They are designed for indoor housing but the garage should be fine as it will be protected from the rain etc.

Yeah, if you have multiple groups (pairs, trios, quads) you could easily mount a load of aviary panels to make enclosures for them, then perhaps if you own the garage (not rented) you could have runs outside, depending on your plot of land layout with tunnels connecting them?

Brains in overdrive a bit here lol

Okay:

I have 2 sets of 2 buns and a group of 3. They all fight when they can see each other so the panels between will need to be solid.

The garden isn't very big. We own the garage.

This pic shows the garage position and width of the garden. The end of the garage with the up and over door is to the left on the outside of next door's fence.

The 7 ft run that is there is already is joined to a hutch just inside the door by a run-around-tube - the run is covered as the 2 buns in the garden like to aggravate the buns in the pen.

As you can see the garden is not very wide or long. I would like them to have runs with a roof. I currently use tarpaulin on the run that is there but it isn't the easiest of answers.

Maybe this will give you a better idea of what I am trying to tackle :D

They'd have to be solid wood aviary panels though as OP's buns show referred aggression.

Manor pet housing sell shorter panels which are all wood and can have doors etc. They are designed for indoor housing but the garage should be fine as it will be protected from the rain etc.

I'll have a look at Manor pet housing :thumb: x

My OH keeps telling me to put them all in the bath and let them get on with it!

I see what you mean about the tube and tunnel combination. It would have to be a tunnel per section to keep them all apart that then leads to 3 separate runs...

How could I make that work on the outside do you think?

Ta x

I would buy a huge run and split it in to three, and then take the separate runarounds to each run section :)

Thank you :thumb:

They seem to be worse on seeing each other. They get turns in the same garden and chin everything etc but at the sight of each other have a hissy fit :roll:

I have been thinking about the lighting, as there is a central bulb which isn't very good, and vinyl flooring as it is very difficult to clean the garage floor as it is when they poop and wee. I thought vinyl the flooring would be less cold.

How have you protected the edges of the flooring from chewing - or is your little bun well behaved :D x

We have some mats down on top of the vinyl so it's not too skiddy for them - we found a carpet shop selling off short pile mats which were a decent size for a fiver each! We have aluminium flat skirting around to finish the vinyl to the walls and with lots of willow chews around and toys tbh he doesn't bother chewing anything he shouldn't - lol he hasn't always been this good though when he was a bedroom bunny he was a nightmare and chewed everything so he obviously now approves of his garage den lol

Good luck with the conversion it will be well worth it :D

We have some mats down on top of the vinyl so it's not too skiddy for them - we found a carpet shop selling off short pile mats which were a decent size for a fiver each! We have aluminium flat skirting around to finish the vinyl to the walls and with lots of willow chews around and toys tbh he doesn't bother chewing anything he shouldn't - lol he hasn't always been this good though when he was a bedroom bunny he was a nightmare and chewed everything so he obviously now approves of his garage den lol

Good luck with the conversion it will be well worth it :D

Is your lino smooth or textured? I am thinking of getting a light colour as it will brighten the interior of the garage.

How did you draught proof your up and over door?

Ta x

Is your lino smooth or textured? I am thinking of getting a light colour as it will brighten the interior of the garage.

How did you draught proof your up and over door?

Ta x

You can get non-slip lino, something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230400854702?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

You can also get draught excluder for the bottom of the garage door which is glued to the floor, we have one as we were running a food business with fridges in the garage and wanted extra protection from mice. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GARAGE-DO...t=UK_Home_Garden_Doors_LE&hash=item5892dbaa61

Last edited:
Back