• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Youtube Video of how a mother rabbit looks after her babies

Oh wow that's cool! Never seen anything like it before, nor did I know that rabbit mums block the holes up.

Wow! I've never seen a bun fill in a hole and pat it down like that before. And the babies going back into the burrow were so cute :love:

Now I need to learn from a bunny mummy how to get them home like that cos mine wont have none of it once they are out! lol x

Awww wow :love:

She is a super mum :love: the care she put into that, she was so delicate with it all :love: unusually for me I fell for the mum more than the babies! :shock: they were very very cute but that mum.....

Bless her heart :love::love::love:

What an amazing mummy, by the time she had finished I could barely tell where the hole had been and the babies were very cute. I couldn't believe how many there were :shock:

I saw something similar on Spring watch last year - I'm sure they said it was called a 'stop' and in that case the mummy had done it because she hadn't been allowed to give birth inside the warren.
I wonder what the babies do underground all day?

Great video! Did anyone watch the UK giant rabbit one on the video thread by it? That's the biggest bunny ive ever seen :shock:

Great video! Did anyone watch the UK giant rabbit one on the video thread by it? That's the biggest bunny ive ever seen :shock:

Unfortunately there are some people who try and breed deliberately huge rabbits. Usually it's bad for the rabbits health and sometimes they use inbreeding :(

Unfortunately there are some people who try and breed deliberately huge rabbits. Usually it's bad for the rabbits health and sometimes they use inbreeding :(

How do you breed them bigger? That's awful is that why giant rabbits only live to about 5?

How do you breed them bigger? That's awful is that why giant rabbits only live to about 5?

By finding the two biggest rabbits you can and breeding them together. Then out of their babies you pick the biggest to breed and so on and so forth. Apparently giants don't have big enough hearts to compensate for their huge size :(

Amazing :love:. There was something like this on Springwatch with a wild rabbit. A member of the public had filmed something similar in their garden and submitted it. If the mother rabbit isn't in a warren for whatever reason, they will dig a hole for their babies and cover them up. They come back to feed them once or twice a day and then cover them up again :love:.

For three years on the trot we had a mum dig one of these burrows in our back garden about 10 feet from the kitchen window. I was completely bemused by her behaviour in filling the entrance in but then was very lucky to actually see the babes emerge from entrance. Thank you for answering the question as to why the babies burrow was in our garden and not out in the fields. The burrow was in exactly the same place for those three years, I do wonder if it was the same mum each year or just a complete coincidence.

Back