• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on rabbit proofing please!

I desperately need some advice on bunny proofing the house please!

Buster spends a lot of time indoors, especially with the weather being so miserable recently. When we are out he is free range in the kitchen, as there are no wires within his reach, and nothing for him to chew or destroy.
When we are home he pretty much has the run of the whole of the downstairs area but his destruction is getting worse and worse. We've managed to block off all cables and wires, so that's not a problem, but when we think we've sorted one problem he'll find something else to chew. His current favourite is just ripping off bits of the wallpaper, but he's also fond of the carpet, the curtains, and if he can get on the bookcase he'll chew the books.
He is now banned from the dining room because he can't be trusted. It's getting to the point where I'm thinking of getting a baby gate and he'll have to stay in the kitchen. I don't want to do this as I feel mean and he does love to sit on the sofa with us in the evening, but I can't deal with any more destruction! :evil: The house is rented, and although the landlord is fine with Buster being here, I'm dreading what he's going to think of destroying next! :evil::evil:

I know it's not practical to expect a rabbit to just stop all rabbit-like behaviour, but any tips for extreme bunny proofing would be gratefully received! He has plenty of chew toys, hidey toys and other stuff but apparently it's not good enough!

Hi :wave:
Is he on his own or has a partner?
My two live in the kitchen/outside in their aviary some days and only allowed in the lounge with supervision, we have a puppy pen against the door. They love coming in the lounge and tend not to damage too much (yet!) as they are so excited to be in there and play with each other!
Our Daisy also like to strip the wallpaper in the kitchen, but if we give her some apple wood to nibble that helps and we have more puppy pens to put against the wall. Puppy pens are great as they come in panels and they can be put where you want.
Good luck :)

He is just over a year old, neutered. And he's very much a solo bunny, a people's bunny if you will!
We do have a puppy pen so I think the panels will be going against the wall! Argh! He thinks its some sort of game lol :evil:

I haven't that much experience with this so hopefully someone else will give you some but all I can tell you is from my experience.
My bun willow used to pull up the carpet and destroy various other things despite having many many toys ( from pet shops) I must say though he has absolutely no interest in pet shop toys or wooden chew things, the only things that distract him of from destruction is natural things like apple branches, cardboard rolls, cardboard boxes, wicker things etc. he is not even interested in the willow sticks you can buy from pet shops!! :roll: it has to be 100% natural and preferably fresh :lol:

I bought these boards from homebase £4.50 each. Have about 20 round the house great at stopping my house bunnies and there love of wallpaper.

They are not great looking but if you have house bunnies and your house proud, it's a losing battle :)

Last edited:
Back