• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Opinions on having to take rabbit in to get a repeat prescription

shannon321

Alpha Buck
My rabbit has an unstable fracture of the shoulder and is on daily metacam, i've just rung for a repeat prescription and i've been told i will have to bring her in as its been over 3 months since she was last seen, now i feel like this is counter productive the vets is miles away with the journey/wait time/appointment it totals nearly 2 hours and she gets very stressed and last time over heated in the car on the way over.

Am i right or wrong to feel like they are just trying to make more money out of me by charging me for a consult for nothing ? The fracture hasn't and won't ever change, she will always need the painkillers and they know that. They also know i have a good knowledge of medicines etc so are they really in a corner with 'rules and regulations' as i'm not sure on the laws regards prescribing meds for animals ?

It really upsets me to stress bunny out for nothing :(

My rabbit has an unstable fracture of the shoulder and is on daily metacam, i've just rung for a repeat prescription and i've been told i will have to bring her in as its been over 3 months since she was last seen, now i feel like this is counter productive the vets is miles away with the journey/wait time/appointment it totals nearly 2 hours and she gets very stressed and last time over heated in the car on the way over.

Am i right or wrong to feel like they are just trying to make more money out of me by charging me for a consult for nothing ? The fracture hasn't and won't ever change, she will always need the painkillers and they know that. They also know i have a good knowledge of medicines etc so are they really in a corner with 'rules and regulations' as i'm not sure on the laws regards prescribing meds for animals ?

It really upsets me to stress bunny out for nothing :(

I do think it's a law or regulation of sorts that they have to see the pet every certain time period, to ensure that the pet is still alive and has the same problem, to avoid people taking prescription meds themselves or selling them on etc. Perhaps you could ask if there is a closer vet you could go to for the prescription? Or you could tie it in with vaccinations of a nail clipor something to avoid a future visit? Hope you sort something out x

We have to take animals in to be checked every three months for repeat prescriptions. I think it's good that the vets are being thorough :)

I may be wrong but I believe they now have to do it by law.
We have 2 very elderly horses who are permanently lame and our vet told us he had to now see them regularly in order to prescribe their medicine. Fortunately it is possible to buy it online so we did a bulk order from the website he gave us. Luckily he understands that paying him to come out every few months just to say yes they're still old and still lame is pointless.
I really feel for you because you can't get what you need elsewhere but I don't think the vet has a choice in it either.
Good luck, I hope it's not too stressful for her xx

Back