• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Insurance?

Ailstar

Mama Doe
So originally I wasn't planning on ensuring my two buns. I had figured that I would not likely need to go to the vet that often so it wasn't worth it. However I have read a lot of stories on here about statis and bloat and I'm now thinking it would be stupid to assume that won't happen to Levi and daisy at some point. The treatments mentioned all sound as if they wouldn't be cheap so I think I should cover myself. However I have heard some people say that insurance is a waste of money as the companies try so hard to wriggle out of paying using any loophole they can find and that it is a better idea just to save in a bank account.

What would everyone suggest based on their experience? I was thinking of maybe going with Pet plan unless there are other recommendations.

I recommend PetPlan. They aren't the cheapest but they provide the best coverage.
Insurance is definitely worth it. If you wanted to have a savings account instead you would need to put £2k in it to provide equal cover and if you had to use that money you would have to put another £2k next year! For most of us that is unaffordable so insurance is a must. If you had financial troubles or lost your job etc you would find it a lot easier to keep your insurance than you would a bank account with lots of money in it.

I think PetPlan are very good at paying out. The only thing they won't pay for is dental burring or trimming, which isn't very expensive anyway. As long as you are honest when you take out the insurance and your pet doesn't already have any illness then your insurance should be valid.

Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely going to get them insured. I will have a look at pet plan as well, I did have a quick look before I got my buns and they were quoting about £11 a month each which isn't bad.

Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely going to get them insured. I will have a look at pet plan as well, I did have a quick look before I got my buns and they were quoting about £11 a month each which isn't bad.

Make sure you get the 'cover for life', whoever you go with.

I'm glad I got my bun insured as he just came out the vets from an overnight stay with stasis and a £600 bill. I'm with Petplan and my vets are dealing with the paperwork for me and say they usually pay out within 10 days doing it this way. I also took the lifetime cover so if he has the same illness again he will still be covered.

I didn't really think he would need it, especially at only 6 months as he seemed so healthy but you just never know!

I've just purchased insurance, in the end I went with Pet Plan because of the covered for life policy and because I found their website much clearer and easy to find the information about the policy. It was cheaper as well, only just over £20 a month to cover both my bunnies.

I do think that insurers need to update their breed list to include Mini Lion Lops though, its a recognised BRC breed, not a crossbreed!

Back