• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone who shares a bedroom with free range bunnies...

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
How does it work? I mean, do they not freak out if you have to get up in the night? How do you know where they are so you don't stand on them? I am just considering moving my bed into Molly's room, so she has company, as almost every night she wakes me up thumping, and I haven't a clue why. If i go in to see if she's ok she freaks out even more, as though I'm a monster coming to get her!! Then in the morning she's fine :?

The bunnies used to wake me up by headbutting me for cuddles. :love: You just move carefully.

I don't worry about me but OH can be a bit clumsy so I tend to wake up if I hear him get up in the middle of the night as he tends to be half asleep and stumbles about.

Don't know how but it works, even though Mr B sits right at the edge of the door on his small square piece of carpet, so its a bit of a danger spot.

He has his dog crate in the hallway and several favourite spots - under the desk in the hallway in the summer heat, at the doorway on his piece of carpet or under the bed. Very late at night he goes under the wardrobe.

You tune in to their movements and get used to their routine. Its a bit like having a child.

If he is really hungry and I have slept in, he has jumped on my head to wake me up. :shock:

Mr B has never freaked out, sits there like he hasn't a care in the world.

We have free range bunny in the hall between the bathroom and the bedroom so I can answer one of your questions! She does like to sit outside the bedroom door but tends to move as soon as we come out, not freaking out, just normal not wanting cuddles moving (sometimes she does want cuddles but she's generally not that kind of girl!). I think they can actually see you as well in the dark as they can in the daylight! We just walk slow and stop if our feet touch anything fluffy ;)

My two live in my bedroom. They never freak out when I get up, I usually have Fiver following me into the bathroom. :roll: They love it when I go to bed and jump on the bed for cuddles and kisses. They wake me up by running round the room, onto the bed and running over my head. :evil: I am attempting to stop them doing this. :lol: :lol: Apart from this, they are brilliant. They go to sleep at about 1-2am and will stay asleep until about 7am, this is when they have been doing the new trick of jumping on my head. :evil: When they hear my alarm go off I get bunnies on the bed and whiskers up my nose or a bunny jumping on my bladder. :lol: I love having my babies in my room. :love:

Has your bun got a friend? It sounds like something is really spooking her. Could it be car headlights? People talking in the next house/outside? Cats yowling? My bunnies very rarely thump, but when they do it's usually because they can hear cats fighting...they aren't even bothered when they hear foxes barking. :roll: If your friend is alone, bonding her will probably make her feel much more safer/secure. Moving into her room could also help her during the night, but be prepared for a few weeks of sleepless nights until you get used to bunny noises, and she gets used to the routine. I end up staying up for hours just watching them. :lol:

Joshua lives in my room, I don't get up too often in the night, but when I do I shuffle and listen for the sounds of bunny feet :lol: The way my bed is positioned it's not that far from the door and Joshua doesn't sleep in front of the door anyhow, as none of his fun things are there. The head of my bed is close to the door and behind the head is Joshua's main space; where his barn, towels, and favorite hay box is. Next to the end of my bed is a four foot by one hutch that is always open and the hutch leads into another hay box, he can jump on to the top of the hutch if he wants to. Joshua also loves to cuddle with me at night and sometimes binkies across my head :love:

The night I brought him home he was very scared and kept thumping. I carefully got down on the floor with him and cuddled him, he has been fine since.

All in all, I love having a rabbit in my room :thumb:

That's a good point about being alone - when Bugsy rabbit was alone before she was intro-ed with Chestnut she used to stamp A LOT and now we don't hear a peep out of her ;)

Poppy isn't bothered by anything when her night light is on, it's bright enough to cast a soft light over the room but not so bright that it ever affects our sleeping.

I think that you just get use to them being in the bedroom and they get use to you so no one gets freaked. Julie has lost the use of her legsbut she can scoot. I bring her into the bedroom with us incase she needs anything in the middle of the night. She is right next to the bed. I keep a flash light on my night stand in case I need to get up or check on her. She eats in the middle of the night loudly and bangs her bowls or plays with a toy. We just got use to her.

Forgot to say we now have laminate in the bedroom so you can hear him trotting around in the dark. The bed is really high so he doesn't jump up that often, he seems to prefer ground level, even though he is single.

Its actually easier than you imagine.

Yes she needs a friend, definitely, but I can't give her one at the moment :( I adopted her as a friend for Olly but the bond didn't work. Olly is happy on his own now but Molly is not so :( she gets scared very easily. This is why I thought it might help if I shared her room with her? But I don't know if that would freak her out too! And I would probably get even less sleep than I do now, which wouldn't be good as I'm constantly exhausted anyway :( just trying to find a solution.

My two live in my bedroom. They never freak out when I get up, I usually have Fiver following me into the bathroom. :roll: They love it when I go to bed and jump on the bed for cuddles and kisses. They wake me up by running round the room, onto the bed and running over my head. :evil: I am attempting to stop them doing this. :lol: :lol: Apart from this, they are brilliant. They go to sleep at about 1-2am and will stay asleep until about 7am, this is when they have been doing the new trick of jumping on my head. :evil: When they hear my alarm go off I get bunnies on the bed and whiskers up my nose or a bunny jumping on my bladder. :lol: I love having my babies in my room. :love:

Has your bun got a friend? It sounds like something is really spooking her. Could it be car headlights? People talking in the next house/outside? Cats yowling? My bunnies very rarely thump, but when they do it's usually because they can hear cats fighting...they aren't even bothered when they hear foxes barking. :roll: If your friend is alone, bonding her will probably make her feel much more safer/secure. Moving into her room could also help her during the night, but be prepared for a few weeks of sleepless nights until you get used to bunny noises, and she gets used to the routine. I end up staying up for hours just watching them. :lol:

Yes she needs a friend, definitely, but I can't give her one at the moment :( I adopted her as a friend for Olly but the bond didn't work. Olly is happy on his own now but Molly is not so :( she gets scared very easily. This is why I thought it might help if I shared her room with her? But I don't know if that would freak her out too! And I would probably get even less sleep than I do now, which wouldn't be good as I'm constantly exhausted anyway :( just trying to find a solution.

Hmm. Have you tried sending them both away for bonding? Obviously some buns will simply never bond with each other, but I think it's very rare for a bun to be happy on their own. I thought Fiver would be fine on his own but when I bonded him, I realised just how much he was missing out.

I would think that a friend will most likely be better for her. Can she smell Olly? It could be him that is spooking her, especially if they fought and she is scared of him. How is she with you?

Spenser is a free range bedroom bunny. Actually we now refer to the room as 'Spenser's room'. :oops: Originally he was shut in his crate at night, but nobody got any sleep as he rattled the bars constantly. He is quite active through the night, and does occasionally wake me up if he jumps on the bed or knocks something over, but the pros of sharing a room with him definitely outweigh the cons. :love:

Hmm. Have you tried sending them both away for bonding? Obviously some buns will simply never bond with each other, but I think it's very rare for a bun to be happy on their own. I thought Fiver would be fine on his own but when I bonded him, I realised just how much he was missing out.

I would think that a friend will most likely be better for her. Can she smell Olly? It could be him that is spooking her, especially if they fought and she is scared of him. How is she with you?

Olly is a disabled head tilt bun, I don't think he will bond again after losing his sister Honey; he feels vulnerable and feels he has to constantly prove himself to a new bun, he just kept biting her and in the end she started going for him. I will never send Olly anywhere, he needs me :love:

Molly used to thump at 3am every morning; recently it's changed to 5am. I have looked out the windows and can't see or hear anything. But if I go to see her she is still spooked and thumpy! She is fine with me, loves being stroked now, although does have a tendency to attack my feet...

How does it work? I mean, do they not freak out if you have to get up in the night? How do you know where they are so you don't stand on them? I am just considering moving my bed into Molly's room, so she has company, as almost every night she wakes me up thumping, and I haven't a clue why. If i go in to see if she's ok she freaks out even more, as though I'm a monster coming to get her!! Then in the morning she's fine :?

I normally pop the lamp on if I have to get up during the night, i can usually tell where they are though by the soft noises they make and their habits. Plus have perfected the bunny shuffle :lol: I also sleep quite soundly once I get to sleep so they don't normally wake me.

Spenser is a free range bedroom bunny. Actually we now refer to the room as 'Spenser's room'. :oops: Originally he was shut in his crate at night, but nobody got any sleep as he rattled the bars constantly. He is quite active through the night, and does occasionally wake me up if he jumps on the bed or knocks something over, but the pros of sharing a room with him definitely outweigh the cons. :love:

:lol: You need to change your name to Spenser bun too. ;)

Ripminnie don't worry about Molly being single, Spenser and Mr B are single because they don't get on with other bunnies either. I can assure you M B is very happy on his own after 3 failed bonds and a chunk out of Cutie-pies ear. I have had bunnies for 14 years and never thought I would have to explain why one of mine is single.

I think Molly and you will adjust well to sharing a room. :D

Don't have free range bedroom bunnies currently but used to! I never had any problems, you do just get used to it. I never really did anything different because I was already used to having free range ducks and a cat in my room so had to make sure I didn't step on them! So it was pretty much the same with rabbits, except I did add a baby gate to my door.

Our buns don't care, they sleep in the bedroom with us right next to the bed so we know where to be careful. They don't freak out if we get up either.
We do get jumped on a lot though, the other morning I woke up with Bramble right in my face. :lol:

When Frosty and Snowflake were in my bedroom I sectioned off a walkway to the door so that I could come in and out without them escaping/being trodden on. They soon got used to me getting up at night and were not in the least bothered. I do miss them I must say but its more spacious for them outside ...

Back