• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny had a bath!!!

Clo-pip

New Kit
He was abit unsure at first but after he realised what was going on he just sat there + lapped up all the body rubs!!! He's in a grump with us now but he'll come begging for some flaked peas soon enough :) at least he's a clean bun now!!! :D
usu4yga4.jpg

is bathing bunnies a good thing, ive never thought about doing it, does it take oil out of their fur

There is absolutely no need to bath a bunny.

Make sure you keep him in a warm place until he dries.

Bunnies are very good at keeping themselves clean so you should never really feel the need to bath them, plus they really don't like it, it can unnecessarily cause them stress :shock: please be careful if you bath your bunny, he may have just sat there in a dazed state through fear...

as others have said, there is usually no need to bath rabbits. they are more than capable of keeping themselves clean. it can really stress them out aswell. make sure he is kept warm until he fully dries so he doesn't become poorly. :wave:

You should never bath a bunny. The stress can kill them and it takes a long time for their coat to dry out so they are very susceptible to fly strike or causing respiratory problems.

Please never do this again.

I hope your bunny is alright :( does he live in the house? Make sure he isn't anywhere draughty, it takes a long time for buns to dry and he will probably be traumatised :( obviously you didn't know it was the wrong thing to do, but at least now you know not to do it again.

You didnt know, dont worry, just know for next time :) Make sure he is kept warm and indoors until fully dried

This :thumb:

ETA: Hope you're not too upset with the comments. People just want the best for your gorgeous bun. I'm sure you take great care of him. :wave:

Last edited:
I had to bath the tail end of my old bunny to keep him clean. Each night would see him on the kitchen table; on a towel; bowl of food one end; and me with the hair dryer at the other!

Honestly, they don't need it save for special care. I'd try to get a cool hair drier on him. :)

Please dry him with a towel as much as possible and keep him warm.

Be ready to attend a vets for an emergency appointment if he displays any signs of not eating, shivering or lethargy.

Can I ask, what made you want to bath him?

Aww bless you! Its ok im sure you haven't done any real harm to him. Think of him like a cat they just don't need to have a bath just a good grooming then if he does have a dirty bum or is wet anywhere you know its because hes poorly in some way! Its also good to groom him as you can feel for any lumps and bumps he may have and you can check his skin is a healthy colour and flake free, this is enough to help him be a very clean bunny! :wave:

Sorry everyone! I feel really bad now!

Aww sorry we don't mean to have a go at you, we all have to learn somehow :) your little bun will be perfectly fine, I'm sure you dried him all off & he's nice and warm. In future try not to bath him tho, if he gets a little dirty try a wet wipe. Bunnies really are good self cleaners, my bun licks himself all day long :lol:

Welcome to you & ur gorgeous boy :wave:

Please dry him with a towel as much as possible and keep him warm.

Be ready to attend a vets for an emergency appointment if he displays any signs of not eating, shivering or lethargy.

Can I ask, what made you want to bath him?

I think it's a logical assumption for someone who doesn't really know rabbits. You bath dogs and other animals are known to enjoy water too. I'm sure the rabbit is fine now and OP now knows it doesn't need to be done again :)

If the reason for bathing him is that he was dirty though, you may want to get him checked out at the vets OP. A healthy rabbit should be able to keep themselves clean :wave:

I think it's a logical assumption for someone who doesn't really know rabbits. You bath dogs and other animals are known to enjoy water too. I'm sure the rabbit is fine now and OP now knows it doesn't need to be done again :)

If the reason for bathing him is that he was dirty though, you may want to get him checked out at the vets OP. A healthy rabbit should be able to keep themselves clean :wave:

That's why I was asking, in case there was a health concern OP wasn't aware of and that's why OP was bathing rabbit.

You should only bath them if they have issues cleaning themselves due to a health issue and even then you should only clean the bottom/ dirty area but you know now ^_^

Back